Printer Friendly

Bani Yas eye marquee striker.

Dubai French World Cup winning free-agent David Trezeguet could replace want-away Andre Senghor at Bani Yas, with the Senegalese striker now tipped for a transfer to Norway's Aalesunds FK (Aafk).

Aafk have already had a bid of Dh 5.5 million turned down for 25-year-old Senghor but Bani Yas have signaled that an offer nearer Dh 9 million would be acceptable for last season's UAE league top-scorer (18 goals).

The Norwegian club is hoping Senghor's desperation to play in Europe -- in order to maintain his Senegal national team spot -- will prompt a lower wage request.

Should unhappy Senghor leave as expected, Trezeguet, released by Spain's Hercules and formerly of Platense, Monaco and Juventus, would be an adequate substitute.

An assistant to Trezeguet's agent Antonio Caliendo told Gulf News the 33-year-old player is already in negotiations with several teams most notably; Lazio, Aston Villa, Swansea, Nice and Grozny. But the player is looking for Dh169,000 a week after tax on a two-year contract.

A spokesman at Bani Yas confirmed the club was in ongoing talks with Trezeguet and that things would only become clear within the next few days.

Coming days

However, Bani Yas coach Jorvan Vieira said: "I don't know anything. I have no information on either Trezeguet or Senghor. I am not allowed to comment until the coming days."

The Norwegian press quoted African talent scout Reidar Vagnes as saying: "Aafk can make a big scoop if they manage to get Andre to Norway -- I will be very impressed if they bring him to the club. He is a class player who has everything it takes. He has the skills needed to succeed here. He has a strong body, he's quick, has a good head and shoots like a horse with both feet."

Senghor, who raised suspicion from Bani Yas mid-summer when he failed to return for pre-season training as expected, was later discovered to be putting feelers out in the French and Belgian leagues.

But the former Diaraf, Al Ain, Al Karamah and Raja Casablanca star had returned when a move to replace Nolan Roux at Stade Brest failed after Schalke were outpriced for Roux.

KAA Gent of Belgium was the other club interested and now three other Norwegian clubs are said to be involved, including Valerenga and Molde.

Aafk club director Henrik Hoff told the Norwegian press: "We are looking for quality at the right price. If you look at players we have obtained previously, we have shown that we are open to bringing in players from all over the world -- a new bid must be made before the transfer window closes, but it's also possible that we wait until the January window."

Senghor's agent Bertrand Couly said: "Andre is prepared to leave the club. He would prefer a club in France but is open to other places if that doesn't work out. There are several French clubs interested, it just depends on how hard the clubs are on their demands. His dream is to play in Europe and I hope he will do so."

Bani Yas, who also have Omani midfielder Fawzi Basheer and Uruguayan defender Sergio Rodriguez in their ranks, seemed to admit defeat in keeping Senghor when they approached Trezeguet, but technically both could stay under the four foreign player rule.

Al Nisr Publishing LLC 2011. All rights reserved.

Provided by Syndigate.info an Albawaba.com company
COPYRIGHT 2011 Al Bawaba (Middle East) Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2011 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Gulf News (United Arab Emirates)
Date:Aug 25, 2011
Words:564
Previous Article:Business with a human face.
Next Article:Putting print fundamentals to work.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2021 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters