Printer Friendly


Byline: The Register-Guard

Minor quake rattles

Mohawk residents

SPRINGFIELD - A small earthquake struck the Mohawk Valley northeast of Springfield on Wednesday night, shaking the ground and rattling residents.

The magnitude 2.4 quake occurred at 9:15 p.m. and was centered near the unincorporated town of Mohawk, according to The Pacific Northwest Seismograph Network based at the University of Washington.

Mohawk Valley resident Betty Halverson said she heard what she thought was a loud explosion and she felt her house shake.

"Our blinds were swaying back and forth and the windows and the TV was shaking back and forth," she said.

UO Senate approves

motions on athletics

The University of Oregon Senate on Wednesday unanimously approved two motions calling for closer communication between faculty and the athletic department.

With little debate, Senate members approved a motion that calls for annual reports on athletics from the athletic director, the chairman of the UO Intercollegiate Athletics Committee and the faculty athletics representative. The reports are aimed at ensuring that the academic mission of the university is reflected in the athletic program.

Senators also approved a motion that requires regular consultation by the athletic department on a list of topics, including new facilities, finances, game schedules and program changes. The rules were sought to encourage communication between faculty and the athletic department.

Neither of the changes gives the Senate veto power over athletic department decisions. The new rules came out of recommendations made by a campus task force on athletics that was largely positive but suggested a number of ways to monitor and maintain the emphasis on academics with student athletes.


Cape Creek Tunnel work will take a while longer

YACHATS - Repairs to the Cape Creek Tunnel on Highway 101 will last into mid-February - and possibly longer, project manager Steve Rodolf said Wednesday.

Last month, state Department of Transportation officials said that the $6.1 million job to restore the historic byway had hit a snag after construction workers discovered more fissures in the rock structure above the tunnel than they'd anticipated.

As a result, crews only finished injecting enough grout into the rock last week and still must complete the replacement of the 230-foot long section lining the southern end.

That means nighttime closure of the tunnel will persist, as it has since September, when the work began.

Rodolf said he's "80 to 90 percent confident" that the job would be finished by mid-February.

"But there's still a possibility that, as we remove the liner, we'll encounter some unstable material that will take us a while to repair," Rodolf said.

"As yet, we've probably got about 15 or 20 feet already opened up, and we've found the old 1930s-era timber and grout we've injected is holding the soil in place remarkably well."
COPYRIGHT 2005 The Register Guard
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2005, Gale Group. All rights reserved. Gale Group is a Thomson Corporation Company.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:General News; METRO
Publication:The Register-Guard (Eugene, OR)
Date:Jan 13, 2005
Previous Article:No charges yet filed against wrestling coach.
Next Article:OBITUARIES.

Related Articles

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2021 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters |