Printer Friendly

BRIDESMAID RAPED AFTER WEDDING DO; Naked attacker flees police.

Byline: By Brian Horne

A MAN raped a teenage bridesmaid after a boozy wedding, then fled naked when police arrived.

Kevin Hughes, 22, had tried to escape from his Leith flat through a first-floor window.

But when police caught up with him, he told them: "I'm a scumbag rapist."

He begged officers to hit him.

They had been called to the scene at his flat in Bothwell Street after a neighbour heard screams and dialled 999.

Police were let in by his 18- year-old victim, who they described as "extremely distressed", while Hughes escaped on to the back green.

Hughes yesterday admitted the rape at the High Court in Edinburgh. Another charge of breach of the peace by running naked through back gardens was dropped.

Adrian Cottam, prosecuting, said Hughes had drunk heavily at the reception in Leith, in the city, on September 16 because he hardly knew anyone.

He got into an argument over football with a granddad of the 18-year-old bridesmaid, a niece of the groom, but they still took a taxi back to his flat later on.

Mr Cottam said: "The accused spent a lot of time drinking alone as he did not know any of the other guests particularly well."

He said the bridesmaid told police she had been mixing wine and spirits during that day and evening.

In Hughes's flat, he grabbed her, forced her against a wall and threatened to rape her.

He stripped down to his boxer shorts and lay on top of the girl, ignoring her struggles.

Mr Cottam said: "She was crying, screaming out for him to get off her and saying, 'No.' " Hughes had dug his fingers inside the girl's mouth to stop her screaming out.

She cried: "I can't believe you are raping me. Just stop it."

Afterwards, Hughes told his weeping victim: "You have to kill me now. I'ma beast."

Then he picked up a bread knife, ran it across his throat and fell to the ground. It left a red mark but he was unhurt.

As police arrived at the flat in the early hours, they heard a muffled scream. The girl let them in with only a top on.

Judge Lord Mackay of Drumadoon called for background reports - including an examination by a psychologist. Hughes was remanded in custody pending sentence next month.
COPYRIGHT 2007 Scottish Daily Record & Sunday
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2007 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Daily Record (Glasgow, Scotland)
Date:Jan 5, 2007
Previous Article:Gameboy tragedy of Connor, 7.
Next Article:Over to our man in Africa; FAR FROM HIS HOME IN EDINBURGH, A YOUNG SCOT KEEPS US IN THE PICTURE Many have followed in the footsteps of Scots explorer...

Terms of use | Copyright © 2017 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters