Printer Friendly

Autopsy report in Mardan incident confirms rape, murder of minor.

Byline: Riaz Ahmed / Umer Farooq

PESHAWAR -- The Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa's top cop on Wednesday said that an autopsy report had confirmed that a minor girl in Mardan had been raped before being killed.

Addressing a news conference at the Central Police Office (CPO), Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa (K-P) Inspector General of Police (IGP) Salahuddin Mehsud said that the girl had gone missing late last week and turned up dead the next day.

Autopsy report confirms rape, murder of minor in Mardan

'Asma went missing in Gujjar Ghari area of Mardan on January 13 and her body was found the following afternoon,' he said, adding that they had sent the body for an autopsy which confirmed that the girl had been raped and then strangled.

IGP Mehsud said that initial investigations indicated that the perpetrator had acted alone.

'Most probably the offender was a single man and his motives were sexual assault of the girl and the child was strangled afterwards,' he said, adding that they were currently collecting samples from people for DNA testing to see if it matched samples obtained from the girl.

The top cop said that they had formed a high-powered investigation committee headed by the district police officer (DPO) with the deputy superintendent of police-investigation and inspectors a part of it, who were trying to trace the suspect. He refused to divulge further details about the case citing ongoing investigations.

Moreover, he said that the Regional Police Officer (RPO) and his office were closely monitoring the progress of the case.

'Another 13-member committee has been formed, including members from six political parties of the area, and they have been tasked with monitoring the progress of police in this particular case,' he said.

IGP Mehsud, though, said that the autopsy report had also raised some questions.

'There are some questions which still need to be answered, thus the report has been sent to the forensic laboratory to get a more clear picture,' he added.

Regarding the DI Khan incident, where a girl had been paraded naked, he said that eight of the nine suspects have been arrested and the cases were progressing well.

The medico-legal report of the minor has proved that 'the child was raped'.

The autopsy report also confirmed 'finger marks' on her neck, suggesting that the girl was strangled to death.

The medical report by Dr Kulsom confirmed that the girl had suffered genital injuries. Further, she concluded that the victim had died around three to five hours before the autopsy was conducted.

The autopsy report further confirmed nail marks on the girl's throat along with finger marks on the neck.

COPYRIGHT 2018 Asianet-Pakistan
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2018 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:The Express Tribune (Karachi, Pakistan)
Date:Jan 18, 2018
Previous Article:University of Turbat remembers Prof Raisani.
Next Article:Court asks K-P govt how death row prisoner can study law.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters