Asylum-seeking teen refused entry to UK 'stabbed man to death and beat two others with iron bar' after arriving in Ireland; The 18-year-old from Egypt was tackled to the ground by an unarmed officer after allegedly knifing 34-year-old factory worker Yosuke Sasaki in the back.
An asylum-seeking teenager has been accused of stabbing a man to death and injuring two others with an iron bar just days after arriving in Ireland.
The 18-year-old from Egypt was tackled to the ground by an unarmed officer after allegedly knifing 34-year-old factory worker Yosuke Sasaki.
Mr Sasaki, from Japan, was stabbed in the back as he walked to work with headphones on - unaware of his attacker.
The alleged attacker - who was armed with two knives, and later an iron bar - then continued his assaults on two Irish men at separate locations nearby, police said.
Shortly after a brave unarmed police officer confronted the young man, who calls himself Mohamed, close to the murder scene and tackled him to the ground, police said.
Detectives are now are examining if a terror attack was the motive for the spree in Dundalk, Co Louth, which began at 9am yesterday morning.
The suspect was yesterday examined by a doctor and found to be unfit for interview,reports the Irish Mirror.
He was said to be in a frenzied state following the attacks.
He reportedly arrived in Ireland in recent days via Scotland and the North after the UK authorities refused him asylum.
He began an asylum application in Ireland on January 1.
Police have been forced to suspend his detention until a doctor confirmed he was fit to be interviewed with the assistance of an interpreter.
Chief Superintendent Christy Mangan said: "A terror attack is a line of enquiry -- it certainly is a line we will look at.
"We will endeavour to establish the background of the suspect and where they have come from and why they are here.
"We will ask and answer why the attacks took place, why an innocent bystander, going about their work, would be attacked on a morning in Dundalk slightly before 9am."
Emergency Services first became aware of the horrific incident when the ambulance base in Drogheda received a call at 9am telling them the Japanese man had been stabbed.
Police were alerted and they arrived at the scene at 9.07am, where they found Mr Sasaki unconscious on the side of the road. Paramedics tried to save him but died.
A source said: "He was walking to work, the knife was stuck into his back by the attacker.
"He was wearing headphones and didn't even hear his attacker coming from behind.
"Then the next incident happened at 9.32am. Gardai (Irish police) were told a man was stabbed at nearby Coes Road.
"The next incident was at 9.40am when a man was attacked with a "fencing pole" at Seatown Place.
A witnesstold The Dundalk Democratthat he was working at the rear of his property when he heard a "big commotion."
He said: "I realised something serious had happened. The scene was horrific.
"The man who was stabbed was in a bad way."
The suspect was being questioned at Dundalk Garda station yesterday and can be detained for a maximum of 24 hours.
Chief Super Mangan confirmed on January 1 the suspect made an application for asylum in Ireland -- it was his first contact with Irish police.
Now security sources have also indicated he entered Ireland from the North having been refused asylum in Scotland.
Now a huge international investigation is under way as Dundalk police launch a murder enquiry.
Their colleagues in the national units of Counter Terrorism International and the Garda National Immigration Bureau are also assisting.
It is also understood investigators are liasing with a number of foreign police forces to determine the journey of the man from Egypt to here.
Chief Super Mangan said: "He is 18 years of age. It is early in the investigation but I can say the suspect is Egyptian and that is simply what we know at the moment.
"We would be very interested to know how the suspect came into the jurisdiction, how long were they here, who they were associated with and we would certainly be appealing to people who know the suspect while he was here.
"We are satisfied he was on his own. There is no indication any other persons was assisting him. We at this point don't have a background.
"On January 1 [he had] a garda (police) interaction about his status in the country. Not an interaction that would say he was going to be involved in criminality.
"We believe he has [sought asylum]. We are still trying to establish has he done that.
"Our information is that he was going to do be doing (that).
"The interaction as regards his status in the country -- immigration."
The Chief Superintendent paid tribute to the people of Dundalk but also asked for further assistance.
He said: "(This was) random and unprovoked but we would have to conduct a full investigation.
"We have got great contact from people in the Dundalk area who have provided us with really important information as regards to what exactly took place this morning.
"We are very interested to find out who they were with, who were they staying with and who did they have contact with here.
"There is obviously an international dimension. We will talk to people in order to establish where this person came from and how he got to this jurisdiction."
Councillor Ruairi O Murchu, who lives close to the scene of the attack in Avenue Road, was
He said there was major concern among local people. "The community is in shock," said the Sinn Fein representative.
"Our thoughts are with the family of the person killed and those that have been injured."
Seatown Road is seen after stabbing attack in Dundalk, Ireland
Police at the scene where 34-year-old factory worker Yosuke Sasaki was stabbed to death
An 18-year-old from Egypt was tackled to the ground near Avenue Road, pictured, by an unarmed officer
Yosuke Sasaki was stabbed in the back as he walked to work along Avenue Road
The suspect was being questioned at Dundalk Garda station yesterday and can be detained for a maximum of 24 hours
The suspect was yesterday examined by a doctor and found to be unfit for interview
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Title Annotation:||News,World news|
|Publication:||Daily Mirror (London, England)|
|Date:||Jan 4, 2018|
|Previous Article:||Countryfile's Kate Humble strips NAKED for freezing cold lake dip - and captures it all on film; The BBC presenter couldn't speak as the chilly water...|
|Next Article:||Foul-mouthed gran 'one of crematorium brawlers in funeral bust-up that saw mourners battered with walking stick'; Liz Black is was recently the...|