Printer Friendly

Ask your advocate.

I lost my income tax refund check. How can I get my money?

--L. Yang

New York City

Fortunately, you have several options. You can call the Internal Revenue Service at 800-8294954 and speak to one of its agents or use the automated system, unless you filed "married filing jointly," in which case you'll need to complete form 3911, also known as Taxpayer Statement Regarding Refund ( pdf). According to its Website, the IRS can often issue a new check to you within six to eight weeks, provided that the check was not cashed. If the check was cashed by someone, you'll need to complete a claim package and, possibly, form 3911.

If your refund never arrived, you can get assistance at the "Where's My Refund?" section of the IRS Website. Tracing service is available to tilers who have not received a refund within 28 days from the mailing date posted on the "Where's My Refund?" section of the site. General information about your refund status is available 72 hours after filing a return electronically and three to four weeks after mailing a paper return.

COPYRIGHT 2009 Earl G. Graves Publishing Co., Inc.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2009 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:QA; income tax refund
Author:McRae, Sheiresa
Publication:Black Enterprise
Article Type:Column
Geographic Code:1USA
Date:Jun 1, 2009
Previous Article:Boost the value of your home: a few simple renovations can make your dwelling a hot commodity--no matter what the housing market looks like.
Next Article:Funny business: comedy is the catalyst for J. Anthony Brown's family-owned empire.

Related Articles
Accrual of tax refunds.
Long-distance telephone excise tax refunds - 2006 tax returns affected.
Refund Anticipation Loans.
P&G appeals deduction denial.
Refund anticipation loans and the tax gap.
Targeting the tax gap: the case of the RAL and the advanced notice of proposed rulemaking.
A new dimension for LLCs in California.
Deadline nears for tax return extensions.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2020 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters