Printer Friendly


Our specialists will answer YOUR questions on the property issues that affect you. Contact us at

ROSS MACKAY of the Convener Law Society of Scotland Property Law Committee

Iam in my 80s and one of my children lives with me as a carer. I want to make sure she can live in the house after my death but also want to leave something to my two other children. I'm not sure how I can do that as the most valuable thing I have is the house. What do you advise?

This situation is increasingly common. There are a number of options which link into the grant of a suitable will regulating your affairs. It is therefore very important that you seek professional legal advice in relation to your circumstances from your family lawyer.

They will be able to discuss options with you such as a life-rent or more formal trust benefitting your carer without prejudicing the interest of your other children.

It does need a full discussion with your professional adviser to go over the various options and choices which you can make with a view to protecting your family overall.

Some solicitors may agree to write your will in exchange for a donation to charity. You can find a local solicitor using the Law Society's Find a Solicitor section on its website.

To find out about solicitorsinvolved in charity will writing initiatives Will Relief Scotland ( or Will Aid ( check the charities' websites.

COPYRIGHT 2016 Scottish Daily Record & Sunday
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2016 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Features
Publication:Daily Record (Glasgow, Scotland)
Date:Sep 17, 2016
Previous Article:Be bowled over by Westfield of dreams; Final phase of homes unveiled at Stewart Milne's development close to Aberdeen.
Next Article:Paving the way for off-street parking; HomeImprovements Turning your front garden into a handy driveway can be a big plus but how should you go about...

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters