Printer Friendly

Ask Dr Miriam.


Q I'm e. lt in pieces. My son has just told me he's going to have a sex change. He says he always felt like a female and now he's going to do something about it. I'm heartbroken. Will I ever have grandchildren?

A I can think of few things worse than feeling you're in the wrong body. Please try to put yourself in your son's position instead of worrying about grandchildren.

body What your son is doing requires unimaginable courage. Be proud of him for being true to himself instead of concentrating on yourself.

I believe that everyone has the unalienable right to choose their gender, and if that means a sex change, so be it. You should be there to help and support your son on his difficult journey.

For starters, get in touch with Stonewall (stonewall. and learn about transgender issues.

Get advice on how best you can help your son.

He'll be so grateful and you'll be happy for the rest of your life that you were there for him - and the daughter he becomes.

No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2015 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Features; Opinion Column
Publication:The Mirror (London, England)
Date:Nov 27, 2015
Previous Article:How to help a child who tells tall stories; TOP TIPS.
Next Article:Why a nap increases your risk of diabetes.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2020 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters