Printer Friendly

Ask Dr Miriam.


Q I'm not young and for the past year or so I've had nasty red spots on my face which I can't budge. My doctor says I've got acne but I thought only teenagers got this?

A What your doctor means is that you've got adult acne - which is something different from the teenage variety.

I saw one report which said that almost half the women in the UK are thought to have adult acne in some form. It's increasing in prevalence, especially in women. The good news is there are treatments that can help, plus there are a few things you can do for yourself - keep out of the sun and wear sunblock every day regardless of the weather.

People get acne because of an overgrowth of a bacterium which grows in the grease glands. This can be killed off by a cream containing diolenyl so get some of this from your doctor.

Roaccutane, a chemical similar to vitamin A, will also help - but this should only be used under medical supervision.

No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2015 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Features; Opinion Column
Publication:The Mirror (London, England)
Date:Jul 27, 2015
Previous Article:KNOW YOUR BODY.
Next Article:Sweeteners; 2MINUTES ON...

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters