Printer Friendly

Ask Dr Miriam.


Qsm My optician has said I have astigmatism and will require special glasses.

Can you tell me what it is? A It's an uneven curvature of the cornea at the front of the eye that distorts vision, resulting in blurring of small print.

f e You'll probably have noticed difficulty in reading and sometimes trouble with both near and distant vision.

Your vision can usually be corrected by glasses with specially curved lenses to compensate for the uneven cornea and sometimes rigid contact lenses are also effective because they smooth out the cornea's surface.

There's also surgery for refractive errors, such as lasik (when the cornea is re-shaped by a laser).

No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2014 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Features; Opinion Column
Publication:The Mirror (London, England)
Date:Sep 8, 2014
Previous Article:WHAT'S THIS TEST? Hysteroscopy.
Next Article:Revolution that could halt epidemic of HIV.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters