Printer Friendly

Arngrove Northern League.

Byline: By Malcolm Pratt

Newly-promoted Consett lead the table after beating West Allotment Celtic 5-1 at Belle Vue Park.

Manager Kenny Lindoe, who led Brandon United to the championship three years ago, saw his side come back after conceding a 10th-minute goal to Ben Dawson.

From then on though the Steelmen dominated and the goals flowed from David Pounder (2), Michael Mackay, Carl Piecha and Scott McDonald.

Shildon and Chester-le-Street are equal on points with Consett. An only goal by Wayne Gredziak was sufficient for Shildon at Horden CW while Chester-le-Street beat Jarrow Roofing 3-1 with goals by Andy Cuthbertson (2) and Gary Shields after Paul Chow had opened for the home team.

Whitley Bay are fourth but they left it late before seeing off the challenge from Bishop Auckland who have yet to win after their relegation from the UniBond League First Division.

Richard Storr gave them a 65th-minute advantage and after Mark Sheeran levelled from the penalty spot on 70 minutes, Wayne Phillips grabbed the winner.

Lee Hamilton was an early marksman for Tow Law Town but it was no more than Dunston Federation deserved when Gareth McAlindon restored parity midway through the second period.

Bedlington Terriers claimed their first win with an excellent performance at Billingham Synthonia. The visitors made a dream start, scoring in the first minute through Scott Marshall. Although Colin Iley soon levelled, Terriers were well worth a 3-1 win courtesy of further goals from Martin Roper and Craig McFarlane.

Stephen Young bagged a brace of goals but Morpeth Town went down 4-2 to Northallerton Town for whom Ross Diamond and Carl Chillingsworth both scored twice.

After conceding goals to Andrew Burton and David Abel, Durham City claimed a share of the points with a stoppage time equaliser from Leon Ryan after Stephen Richardson had reduced the deficit at Billingham Town.

Newcastle Benfield Bay Plastics suffered their first defeat losing 2-0 at Sunderland Nissan for whom David Tait scored both goals.

South Shields made it four wins out of four and lead the Second Division.

Their latest success was by 4-2 over Team Northumbria.

Mark Brocklehurst, Simon Dolman and Justin Perry (2) scored for the Mariners with Stephen Salter and Matthew Hill on target for the newcomers.

Ryton are second but they had to settle for a share of the points at home to Spennymoor Town for whom Adam Clough cancelled out Andrew Fulford's goal.

Dominic Elliott scored twice in the last five minutes to earn North Shields a 3-2 win at home to Whickham. Gary Forbes had given the Robins a first-half lead but two goals in a minute from Andy Elliott and Ian Robson put Whickham ahead.

Andrew Middleton, Anthony Laidler and Willie Crew netted for Sunderland Ryhope CA and Robbie Clarkson, John Toft and Ian Watson replied for Seaham Red Star while an 87th-minute goal by Stephen Burns was sufficient for Washington at Norton and Stockton.

Craig Winter scored the only goal as Marske United beat Alnwick Town and Hebburn Town won 3-1 at Crook Town courtesy of Michael Barnes (2) and Gary McCartney.

David Lee and Gary Mitchell were on the mark for the home team.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2006 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:The Journal (Newcastle, England)
Date:Aug 28, 2006
Previous Article:Sturrock's anger over Premiership refereeing.
Next Article:New boy is left to fend for himself.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters