Printer Friendly

Army units will face axe - Minister.

| LONDON, May 8 (KUNA) -- Entire infantry and armoured units will face the axe as a result of the UK Government's program of cuts to the armed forces, Defence Secretary Philip Hammond has warned. In an interview with The Daily Telegraph newspaper Tuesday he said the planned scale of reductions could not be achieved without the loss of some units.

Under the plans set out in the Strategic Defence and Security Review, the Army is to be reduced from 102,000 soldiers to 82,000.

The Telegraph reported that units with large numbers of soldiers recruited from the Commonwealth would be particularly vulnerable.

Currently around one in 10 infantry soldiers comes from outside the UK, although some units have significantly larger foreign contingents than others.

"The Army is getting smaller," Hammond admitted.

"Clearly the Army can't get smaller by 17 percent without losing some units. I can't say to you that there will be no loss of battalions in the infantry as we downsize the Army. We are looking at the options in the Army and the armoured corps." An MoD spokesman said, "A review of the future structure of the Army is ongoing and no conclusions have yet been reached. "As General Sir David Richards, Chief of the Defence Staff, has stated previously, the Army is confident it can meet its target of 82,000 by 2020.

"This is in line with the agreement between the Defence Secretary and the Chief of the General Staff for a gradual move towards the new Army structure so operations are not adversely affected by necessary changes." The cuts have been criticised by defence analysts who argue that the move will impact negatively on the UK armed forces capability. (end) he.asa KUNA 081013 May 12NNNN

All KUNA right are reserved 2012.

Provided by Syndigate.info an Albawaba.com company
COPYRIGHT 2012 Al Bawaba (Middle East) Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2012 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Kuwait News Agency (KUNA)
Date:May 8, 2012
Words:306
Previous Article:22 soldiers killed in Al-Qaeda attack S. Yemen.
Next Article:Panetta denies US trying to contain China in West Pacific.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2020 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters