Printer Friendly

Applying Lipstick, you may be eating toxic metals.

ISLAMABAD -- Whether you're one of those tinted chapstick people, or a ruby red lipstick lover, there's something you should know. That stuff you're putting on your lips is going into your mouth. And it could be poison.

Over at the New York Times, Deborah Blum has inaugurated a new column about chemistry called Poison Pen - and today she is investigating a recent study on metals in lipstick. These are all metals, like lead, that are known to affect human health. She writes:

Dr. Hammond's new study, published in May in the journal Environmental Health Perspectives, found traces of cadmium, cobalt, aluminum, titanium, manganese, chromium, copper and nickel in 24 lip glosses and eight lipstick brands. The researchers picked the products because they were favored by teenagers at a community health center in Oakland, Calif. The girls reported reapplying lipsticks or glosses as often as 24 times a day.

And there's the issue - that reapplication. It's not harmful to be exposed to trace amounts of metals. In fact, our bodies need metal. But repeatedly applying lipstick with metal means that you'll inevitably ingest or absorb more metal than may be healthy. It's best to limit reapplications to 2-3 times per day.
COPYRIGHT 2013 Asianet-Pakistan
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2013 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Balochistan Times (Baluchistan Province, Pakistan)
Date:Aug 19, 2013
Words:200
Previous Article:Situation of Egypt a lesson for Pak Govt: Shah Mehmood.
Next Article:Committee for extension of JCP Ganda Singhwala formed.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters