Printer Friendly

Another Pret A Manger customer has died from allergic reaction; The chain is already facing scrutiny over the death of 15-year-old Natasha Ednan-Laperouse.

Byline: Liz Day

A second customer has died from from an allergic reaction to an ingredient in a sandwich bought from Pret A Manger, the firm has confirmed.

The customer died after eating a "super-veg rainbow flatbread" that was supposed to be dairy-free. The chain said it had been mis-sold a guaranteed dairy-free yogurt that was found to contain dairy protein.

Pret is already facing scrutiny over the death of 15-year-old Natasha Ednan-Laperouse, who was allergic to sesame and died after eating one of its baguettes.

During the inquest into her death, it emerged that another teenager needed hospital treatment after suffering an allergic reaction from eating at a Pret A Manger store inCardiffin 2015.

The hearing at West London Coroner's Court was told the Cardiff case was one of nine in the UK where someone had suffered an allergic reaction after eating Pret products containing sesame baked into the bread.

The incident in October 2015 involving the 17-year-old customer was described as "life-threatening".

What to do if you're suffering an allergic reaction

Now it has been revealed that another customer collapsed and died on December 27 last year after buying the sandwich in a Pret A Manger store in Stall Street, Bath.

Vegan company CoYo, a coconut milk brand that has been endorsed by TV cook Nigella Lawson, recalled its yogurts in February after dairy traces were found.

Pret on Saturday said CoYo "mis-sold to Pret a guaranteed dairy-free yogurt that was found to contain dairy protein".

"This is believed to have resulted in the tragic death of a customer from an allergic reaction in December 2017," a spokesman said.

Bath's council alerted Pret to the incident and the chain said it then withdrew all affected products.

"Subsequent testing by Pret and two independent authorities found that the CoYo dairy-free yogurt contained traces of dairy protein," the spokesman added.

"Our deepest sympathies are with the family and friends of our customer in this terrible case and we will seek to assist them in any way we can."

Wales has a critical shortage of EpiPens for children with severe allergies

The chain said it had ended its contract with CoYo and is taking legal action.

The Food Standards Agency investigated along with Bexley council in London, where CoYo is based, before it issued an allergy alert.

CoYo is yet to comment on the death, but announced in February it was "devastated" to discover dairy in its yogurts "especially as being dairy-free sits at the heart of everything we do".

"We've carried out a thorough review of our ingredients and we have identified that the contaminated material was provided to us by an external third-party supplier," a statement added.

Pret announced on Wednesday it will include full ingredient labelling on all of its products and the Government is considering a law change after the death of Natasha who was from Fulham in south-west London.

She collapsed on board a flight in July 2016 after eating an artichoke, olive and tapenade baguette she had bought at Pret A Manger in Heathrow Airport.


Credit: PA

Pret A Manger

Credit: PA

Natasha Ednan-Laperouse

No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2018 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Wales Online (Cardiff, Wales)
Article Type:Obituary
Date:Oct 7, 2018
Previous Article:One of the greatest international rugby comebacks in history just happened overnight; From 24-points down at the break in Argentina, the Wallabies...
Next Article:Conor McGregor UFC fight against Khabib Nurmagomedov descends into chaos amid violent clashes outside octagon; Ugly scenes marred the Las Vegas fight...

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters