Printer Friendly

Anonymous Shifts Anti-Zetas Operation to Safer Channels.

India, Nov. 4 -- The Anonymous hacktivist organization's Ibero-American wing has posted an update to its plans to unmask collaborators of the Mexican drug cartel Los Zetas, going so far as to post a series of security steps to attempt to protect bloggers participating in the #OpsCartel anti-cartel operation.

Anonymous Iberoamerica says it is creating a "special task force" by invitation only. It is advising members to send messages through a proxy server or through Tor and is pleading with members to avoid identifying themselves as part of Anonymous.

In addition, Anonymous has posted a widget that it claims will enable members to send "completely anonymous denunciations" regarding cartel crimes or corrupt authorities, which they pledge to investigate.

The move to protect its members comes after rumors that Zetas plans to hire narcohackers to track down and physically retaliate against the hacktivists.

Retaliation by this bloody, brutal cartel has already resulted in a body count: a man and a woman have been killed and hung from a bridge in Nuevo Laredo with signs warning against posting anti-cartel blogs.

Another anti-cartel blogger, a girl, was found beheaded in Nuevo Laredo. An Anonymous member previously claimed that Los Zetas abducted a volunteer who was distributing OpsCartel leaflets in Veracruz, although the claim is being questioned due to lack of a police report or the abductee's identity.

The denunciations so far submitted to Mexican authorities only result in the narco-criminals having access to personal data, Anonymous says, which they use to assassinate people "with impunity."

"Anonymous will not allow this any more," according to the site, "and this is the reason why we have decided to put in place our own system of 100% anonymous denunciations. By means of this widget, you can send completely anonymous denunciations regarding delinquency facts or news of corrupt authorities in your community, which we will investigate."

"THIS IS NOT A GAME," Anonymous is urging members. "Your life and the lives of others can be in danger. Be very careful, and avoid jeopardizing third parties."

The pullback comes mere days before Anonymous had pledged to launch a publicity attack to out Los Zetas collaborators. "You made a huge mistake by taking one of us," the group initially said in the first OpsCartel communique.

This is in reference to the alleged abductee, whom they claim was kidnapped during a street protest in Veracruz. "Release him. And if anything happens to him, you sons of [expletive] will always remember this upcoming November 5th," the address in the video says, according to a translation provided by the Houston Chronicle.

Los Zetas has reportedly begun hunting down the hackers. As global intelligence firm Stratfor reported:

"We have seen reports that Los Zetas are deploying their own teams of computer experts to track those individuals involved in the online anti-cartel campaign, which indicates that the criminal group is taking the campaign very seriously. Those individuals involved face the risk of abduction, injury and death - judging by how Los Zetas has dealt with threats in the past."

For any query with respect to this article or any other content requirement, please contact Editor at htsyndication@hindustantimes.com

Copyright HT Media Ltd.

Provided by Syndigate.info an Albawaba.com company
COPYRIGHT 2011 SyndiGate Media Inc.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2011 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:The CTO Forum
Date:Nov 4, 2011
Words:534
Previous Article:Fancy Technology or Security Threat?
Next Article:Certificate Authority Issues Dangerous Certficates.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters