Printer Friendly

Animal expert advices on proper disposal of diapers.

Diaper users have been advised to properly secure used diapers when disposing them because they are hazardous to animals.

Mr Ogopotse Mmusi, who resides in Shashe Bridge, said he recently lost a dog due to a diaper.

He said the dog might have picked a diaper around his neighbourhood because prior to it falling sick he found pieces of a diaper in the dog's kennel.

An animal inspector at Botswana Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (BSPCA), Mr Happiness Dube said diapers posed danger to animals if they swallowed them.

Mr Dube said diapers could get lodged and block the gastrointestinal flow.

He said if a dog ingested large pieces of the diaper or enough of the gel crystals, it could cause an obstruction and necessitate surgery.

'If a dog eats a diaper it can end up being dehydrated as the diaper will soak all the moisture meant for the animal metabolism,' he added.

Furthermore, he said diapers had chemicals that could react, block and rupture the dog's internal organs resulting in painful death.

Mr Dube noted that used diapers also contained diaper rash ointment which was detrimental to animals as the cream contained elements such as zinc oxide and other vitamins, which could irritate the gastrointestinal tract.

He said should fumes from chemical reactions of cream elements be extracted it could lead to life-threatening aspiration pneumonia.

Mr Dube advised dog owners not to allow dogs to eat diapers at all as it was a risk to them.

He said the same goes for sanitary pads which were made out of different materials, and that their function was to absorb and expand when they came in contact with liquid.

He advised that if a pet was suspected to have eaten a diaper, the owner should ensure that it still had bowel movement.

'Do not let the animal eat until it has its first bowel movement because more food could block the dog up,' Mr Dube warned.

He said dog owners should take them for walks.

However, in the event the dog started vomiting or became lethargic, it must be taken to the vet for professional help.

COPYRIGHT 2019 Knowledge Bylanes
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2019 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Botswana Daily News (Gaborone, Botswana)
Date:Jan 10, 2019
Words:422
Previous Article:Storms cause havoc in Moshupa, Ranaka.
Next Article:South African bont tick worries residents.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2021 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters |