An unsung workhorse of our preserved railways.
PRESERVED railways are not only about named express locomotives as 0-6-0 engine 813 proves, which appeared in the Birmingham Mail Flickr section on December 27 (right), seemingly adopting camera pose and sporting resplendent Great Western Livery. It was pictured at Hampton Loade railway station along the 16-mile stretch of the Severn Valley Railway.
The Saddle Tank built in 1901 by Messrs, Hudswell and Clarke of Leeds, is the sole survivor of a batch of six they introduced into service.
Formerly owned by the Port Talbot Railway Company, it was used for shunting and coal traffic duties in and around the South Wales area and was allocated to the Duffryn Yard depot.
This unsung workhorse was absorbed by the GWR in 1908 and was finally rescued for preservation from Beckworths Collieries Ltd, Northumberland, in 1967 where she had spent the previous 33 years, and moved to its present SVR location on November 25 of the same year.
Incidentally engine 813 is affectionately known as "Tabby" as one can only presume the nickname transpired from its native Welsh background.
Mr L C Hollier, Bartley Green