An arresting development chance at PS110k?
PROPERTY agents hope the sale of an old Teesside police station site will prove an arresting opportunity for someone.
The old South Bank police station, which used to stand on the corner of Middlesbrough Road and Upper Oxford Street, was unceremoniously flattened in 2008.
Now, more than seven years on, the empty plot is being marketed by House Tree Online Estate Agents on the Rightmove website for PS110,000.
And the vendors point out that, as part of the sale, planning permission is in place for 25 apartments.
The Gazette was on hand when the old station succumbed to the wrecking ball.
Demolition crews moved in during the early part of 2008 to pull down the former police and magistrates building after it was sold to developers.
Little was known about the building, but residents said it dated back to well before 1940.
During the Second World War, on March 12, 1943, police officer Walter Wilson's wife and daughter were tragically killed inside it during a bombing raid. They had taken refuge in a passage connecting the house to the police station when the bomb made a direct hit. Two other daughters survived.
And in 1985, the Home Office ordered alterations, and security improvements costing more than PS160,000 were made to the building, prompting councillors to complain it was "beginning to look more like a fortress than a police station."
But the writing was on the wall for the old building long before a new South Bank police town office was opened in December 2006.
The new office was part of a PS38m Private Finance Initiative which also included a new divisional headquarters for both Langbaurgh and Middlesbrough and a new town office at Redcar.
The former South Bank police station, above left, being |reduced to rubble in 2008 after the bulldozers moved in PETER REIMANN