Printer Friendly

Ambulance's sat nav error leaves player in agony for 26 mins; FFOOOOTTBBAALLLLEERR''SS IINNJJUURRYY NNIIGGHHTTMMAARREE: Service apologises for delay getting to victim of double leg fracture.


HORRIFIED footballers had to give emergency treatment to a badly injured player for almost half an hour after a sat-nav sent paramedics the wrong way.

Young Cefn Druids winger Joe Price suffered a sickening double fracture of his left leg in a tackle with Wrexham FC defender Lee Roberts on Saturday.

The 19-year-old was given gas and air to dull the pain while waiting for help.

Last night ambulance bosses admitted it took 26 minutes for the 999 crew to arrive, after their sat-nav sent them the wrong way.

They apologised to the player for not getting to him sooner.

The incident took place at the end of the first half of a pre-season friendly between the Cymru Alliance league team and Wrexham FC's youth side.

Druids' secretary Mark McKeen said: "It was quite frightening to see as it happened right in front of me.

"These things do happen from time-to-time in football but he was in a lot of pain."

The Wrexham ambulance crew were bamboozled by the club's postcode which, once put into their sat nav device, sent them the wrong way, said ambulance bosses.

A North Wales Ambulance Service spokesman said: "The call came to a football ground at Plas Kinnerton Lane but there was no gate or drive suitable for an ambulance there. So the crew had to do a detour to Welsh Street.

"This wasn't the entire reason for the delay but it was part of the reason.

"It may have seemed a long time for him and we apologise for that but in the end this was the lowest category of call out and I imagine at a football club they do have first aiders."

Those at the game suggested it took 40 minutes for ambulance to arrive but the official time recorded by NWAS was 26 minutes - well within guidelines.

Mr McKeen said: "It was an unfortunate accident and even more unfortunate that it took so long for the ambulance to arrive.

"The main thing was that we were playing Wrexham so they had all the equipment otherwise he would have been screaming blue murder for half an hour or more."

Joe's leg was pinned and a rod inserted in an operation at Wrexham Maelor yesterday. It's hoped he'll resume training in six months.


1. Teammates gather round Cefn Druids player Joe Price after the tackle that franctured his leg in two places. 2. Wrexham FC staff administer gas and air to try and manage the winger's obvious pain. 3. After a 26-minute wait paramedics arrive
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2010 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Daily Post (Liverpool, England)
Date:Jul 26, 2010
Previous Article:Rhodri backs Ed Miliband for leader.
Next Article:FLYING SCOT; 35th SNOWDON INTERNATIONAL RACE: TTeeeenn sshhoocckkss ssttaarr ttoo wwiinn ppeeaakk rraaccee.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters