Printer Friendly

Along came a spider SCARY The huge spider can; SHOCK AS WORKERS FIND BIG BEASTIE; Venomous Huntsman is found in a container by stunned factory staff.


A HUGE venomous spider was found by shocked staff at a Scottish factory.

The hunstman spider, which is native to Australia, Africa and Asia, was discovered inside a shipping container.

Staff at the company in Dumbarton called animal welfare officers, fearing it could be poisonous.

Scottish SPCA officers removed the arachnid, which can give a painful, venomous bite.

Rescue officer Emma Bonner was called to the scene on Friday.

She said: "When I arrived, one of the employees had managed to get the spider inside a clear bag within a container. We didn't know if it was venomous."

Scottish SPCA chief inspector Fiona Henderson said: "An arachnid expert identified it as a huntsman spider. We believe due to a yellow stripe on its abdomen that the spider is female.

"It would be hard to say where it is from exactly due to the fact it arrived here in a shipping container.

"It must be a tough little spider as it has done well to survive living in a cold container for so long before arriving in Scotland.

"If a huntsman spider bites you it will not kill you, but it does contain venom. If you do get bitten by one it can be extremely painful.

"Because it's a huntsman, it's not native to this country, so we can't release the spider anywhere in Scotland.

"The spider appears in good condition and is already an adult so we are going to try to find a specialist home for it."


SCARY The huge spider can give a painful bite

COPYRIGHT 2016 Scottish Daily Record & Sunday
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2016 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Daily Record (Glasgow, Scotland)
Date:Sep 13, 2016
Previous Article:BEEB LOSE Bake Off; Shock as TV production company defect to Channel 4 in PS75m deal.
Next Article:Baby death doctor in water births warning; Pool procedures are experimental, fatal accident probe into tragic Nevaeh is told.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters