Printer Friendly

Allergy boy, ten, dies in his school playground.

Byline: Sarah Probert

A ten-year-old boy who suffered from a severe dairy allergy died in a school playground yesterday minutes after having his lunch.

Habib Khan, from Small Heath, Birmingham, had returned from his hour-long lunch break at home when he collapsed in the yard at Somerville Primary School at 1pm.

He was injected with an epipen, held at school for emergencies, and paramedics battled to resuscitate him for more than half an hour before taking him to Heartlands Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

His mother is in Bangladesh but his father, Noor Ali Khan, rushed to the scene as Habib was being lifted into an ambulance.

Speaking from the family home last night, Mr Khan said he was devastated.

The 46-year-old said: 'Obviously this is a very distressing time for our family and we are just trying to support each other at the moment.

'Habib was taken from us very suddenly and we are very upset.

'He was a much-loved little boy whose mother and myself and his five brothers and three sisters cared for greatly.'

Parent governor Shaid Hussain said: 'Habib complained of feeling unwell shortly after arriving back at school from his home where he had had lunch.

'He told one of the school's dinnerladies that he felt sick and she helped him into the building to see the nurse.

'While he was in the medical room he lost consciousness and collapsed and paramedics were called straight away. We waited for the ambulance to arrive -they were very quick, here within ten minutes.

'They attempted to resuscitate Habib for more than half-an-hour before he was taken to hospital. 'While Habib was being transferred into the ambulance, his father arrived and was shouting at them 'what had they done with his son', and yelling at staff.

'He seemed very confused and did not know what was going on because he spoke very little English.'

Members of staff at the 750pupil school were told the news during a special half-hour assembly at 3pm yesterday.

Teachers, including deputy head Nigel Baynes, were later interviewed by police.

Mr Baynes was in charge of the school while headteacher Richard Hornsby was on a conference trip in London.

A spokesman for the local education authority said: 'All the staff and pupils are extremely distressed and their thoughts and sympathy are with the pupil's family at this time.

'When he became ill all appropriate procedures were immediately followed including injecting him with the epi-pen held at school for emergencies.

'Paramedics arrived within ten minutes but unfortunately were unable to resuscitate him.'

A West Midlands Police spokeswoman said they were called to the school but only after receiving reports of there being a 'sudden death'.

The school was expected to open as normal today.
COPYRIGHT 2004 Birmingham Post & Mail Ltd
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2004 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:The Birmingham Post (England)
Date:Feb 26, 2004
Words:460
Previous Article:CRICKET: Vaughan: Don't ask too much of Jones.
Next Article:'Spy' case charge dropped.


Related Articles
Megamovers help boost charity.
Reading, Writing and Rhinitis: Allergies Keep Kids Out Of Class, Yet Medication Side Effects Can Keep Moms From Treating Them; CLARITIN(R) is First...
Dairy allergy boy, 10, dies.
Tributes to popular boy who died at school.
Police visit school after fall boy dies.
BOY, 15, DIES AFTER HEADBUTT AT SCHOOL; Two pupils are quizzed.
Allergy & Asthma Network Mothers of Asthmatics Celebrates Victory for Schoolchildren.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2017 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters