Printer Friendly

All cooperatives must use new federal income tax form 1120-C.

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) released a draft version of new Form 1120-C on Oct. 12. This form is the new common federal income tax reporting form for all cooperatives, including farmer cooperatives (which previously filed Form 990-C) and all other subchapter T cooperatives (which previously filed Form 1120). Interested parties were given 30 days to comment on the draft.

The new form must be used by cooperatives for tax years ending on or after Dec. 31, 2006. So, cooperatives on a calendar year tax year will be using Form 1120-C to report their 2006 income.

Cooperatives with total assets of $10 million or more will need to attach Schedule M-3 to their Form 1120-C. Schedule M-3 asks questions about the taxpayer's financial statements and reconciles any differences between book income and reported income for tax purposes.

By the time this magazine is mailed, IRS will likely have released both the final version of Form 1120-C and the Instructions. Cooperatives that have not already done so are encouraged to meet with their tax preparer to discuss Form 1120-C and any related electronic filing requirements so the transition to the new form does not disrupt other operations or lead to avoidable disputes with the IRS.
COPYRIGHT 2006 U.S. Department of Agriculture, Rural Business - Cooperative Service
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2006 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Rural Cooperatives
Date:Nov 1, 2006
Previous Article:Outside interests put money on table: ethanol was built on cash from farmers and their neighbors; but the boom is pushing them aside in favor of...
Next Article:"Heroic" leaders named to Cooperative Hall of Fame.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters