Al-Noufara Fountain...An archeological landmark dating back to 1000 years ago.
Damascus, SANA-Nearby the famed archeological cafe of al-Noufara which was built behind the eastern gate of the Umayyad Mosque in Damascus Old City, one can see a marvelous ancient fountain dating back to more than 1000 years ago.
The fountain was first established in 1019 AD to add more beauty to the entrance of the mosque at the middle of vestibule linked to Bab Jeron or "Jeron Gate".
Yet the well over which the fountain was erected seems to be of little abundance and that is why water was conveyed to it from al-Qanawat River in vicinity of al-Hajjaj Palace as water reached the fountain in 1026 AD.
Al-Hajjaj Palace is an ancient archeological monument near Bab al-Jabyia or "al-Jabyia Gate" in Damascus Old City.
One can reach the fountain from Bab Jeron after getting off many stairs. The Fountain has a wooden dome and its basin of is made of marble.
The water of the fountain reaches up to 2.63 meters in the air which indicates that there might be a water tank that was established over one of the shops which are extending over both sides of the vestibule to provide a water compressor capable of lifting water to that height.
International Copyright [c] 2006-2019, SANA Provided by SyndiGate Media Inc. ( Syndigate.info ).
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA)|
|Date:||Feb 24, 2019|
|Previous Article:||Bimaristan al-Nuri in Damascus...First medical university in the East.|
|Next Article:||Center Established at Consular Administration for Issuing "Arrival/Departure" Documents.|