Printer Friendly

Agencies spar over Hizb suspect.

THE arrest of Liyaqat Ali Shah, an alleged Hizbul Mujahideen operative currently in Delhi Police custody, has triggered a controversy with three different security agencies narrating three different capture stories.

While the Jammu and Kashmir Police, based on the complaint registered by Liyaqat's wife Akhtar- ul- Nisa ( 47), have said that he was arrested from the India- Nepal border, the Delhi Police have maintained that they arrested him from Gorakhpur.

The Sashastra Seema Bal ( SSB), on the other hand, is claiming that it escorted Liyaqat and his family to Delhi for fear of them being attacked by some protesters at Danda checkpost on Sonauli border in Maharajganj district, Uttar Pradesh.

Border arrest

The Delhi Police claimed that it arrested Liyaqat on March 20 when he was on his way to Delhi from Gorakhpur. However, Akhtar- ul- Nisa said on Saturday that the Delhi Police arrested her husband at the India- Nepal border. " She told us her husband was taken away by police on Indo- Nepal border," said a police officer at the Kralpora police station.

" After reaching Sanauli post on Nepal border on March 19, the SSB didn't allow us to proceed ahead. They said the border had been closed for the night," Nisa said. On March 20, the SSB allowed them to move ahead only to be detained by the Delhi Police, she added.

Nisa said the Delhi Police officers took Liyaqat away in a white car. " We were taken in a truck from Nepal border to Gorakhpur on March 20.

Police did not give any information about my husband," Nisa said.

Claim refuted

The Delhi Police, meanwhile, refuted all claims about Liyaqat being a " surrendered" militant.

" Neither is he a surrendered militant nor was he coming to Delhi to surrender," said a senior police officer. They also clarified that when they arrested him from Gorakhpur, his family was not with him.

Refuting the Delhi Police's claim, the SSB has claimed that it escorted Liyaqat and 11 others to Delhi on March 20 and handed them over to the Delhi Police on March 21 morning.



THE Sashastra Seema Bal ( SSB), which took Liyaqat Shah and 11 others, including his second wife and daughter, into custody at the Danda checkpost in UP, claimed that the force detained Liyaqat after some members of the Hindu Yuva Vahini protested against releasing the ' militant'. The SSB said it escorted the group to the Capital and handed it over to the Delhi Police.


THE Delhi Police maintained that Liyaqat Shah was arrested from Gorakhpur on Wednesday, soon after he reached the Danda checkpost in UP. The police also claimed that Liyaqat's interrogation led to a raid on a guesthouse in central Delhi's Jama Masjid area from where the police seized an AK- 56 rifle, two magazines, three hand grenades and 220 gms of explosives.


AKHTAR- ul- NISA, Liyaqat's second wife said she had landed in Nepal from Pakistan with her husband and daughter Jabeena ( 14).

She said Liyaqat came to surrender before the authorities in J& K after the application of his family for rehabilitation under the state policy was approved by authorities. She said there was no question of any arms being recovered from Liyaqat.

Copyright 2013 India Today Group. All Rights Reserved.

Provided by an company
COPYRIGHT 2013 Al Bawaba (Middle East) Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2013 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Mail Today (New Delhi, India)
Geographic Code:9INDI
Date:Mar 24, 2013
Next Article:Beni goes after Mulayam again.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters