AWARDS & PRIZES.
* The MacArthur Foundation in Chicago has announced its 2019 class of MacArthur Fellows. Known colloquially as the "genius grant," the fellowship gives $625,000 over five years for professional pursuits to each fellow. Among the grantees are director and writer Annie Dorsen and choreographer Sarah Michelson.
* The Actors Fund and Playwrights Horizons in New York have announced that playwright Iyvon Edebiri is the 2019 recipient of the Mark O'Donnell Prize. The prize, which recognizes emerging theatre artists, includes a $15,000 honorarium and use of the Mark O'Donnell Theater at the Actors Fund Arts Center in Brooklyn to develop the reading of a new work.
* The Harold and Mimi Steinberg Charitable Trust in New York has named Jackie Sibbiies Drury and Lauren Yee the recipients of the 2019 Steinberg Playwrights Awards. They will each receive $50,000.
* Stage Directors and Choreographers Foundation in NYC has named director Joe Mantello the recipient of its 2020 Mr. Abbott Award, a lifetime achievement honor given to a Broadway director or choreographer. SDCF has also named Marcela Lorca, artistic director of St. Paul, Minn.'s Ten Thousand Things the winner of the 2019 Zelda Fichandler Award.
* Samuel French, a Concord Theatricals Company, has named the 2019 recipients of the Samuel French Awards. Awards will be given to TDF's accessibility programs, and playwrights Aleshea Harris and the late Neil Simon. Each will receive $5,000.
* The Vineyard Theatre in New York has named Charly Evon Simpson the recipient of their annual Paula Vogel Plavwriting
Award. The residency-based award comes with a cash prize and artistic development support.
* The Fred Ebb Foundation, in association with NYC's Roundabout Theatre Company, has named Angela Sclafani and Benjamin Velez the recipients of the Fred Ebb Award. Named in honor of the late lyricist, the award, funded by royalties from Ebb's work, recognizes songwriters who have not yet achieved significant commercial success. Sclafani and Velez each received a $60,000 cash prize, and the foundation will produce a one-night-only showcase of the winners' work.