So you think you know your military history? Well, think again!
Each month we publish questions to test your knowledge as part of our At Ease feature, a collection of military trivia and humour. The answers to the quiz are tucked away on another page in this issue.
Good luck! Your input is welcome!
Please send your stumpers to Les Peate at email@example.com.
Last month's Muller: December 8th was a Sunday. The traditional naval toast for Sunday is "ABSENT FRIENDS"
1. Who were distinguished passengers on (a) HMS Bellerophon (b) HMS Hampshire (c) HMS Vultue?
2. When did the Canadian Army first land in Europe in WW II?
3. Did Dieppe raid participants receive the France & Germany Star?
4. What was "Dave's Dream"?
5. What was Ancel Keys' "claim to fame"?
6. What type of military aircraft was first purchased by Canada?
7. How was Eschschlotz Atoll better known?
8. Whose motto is "Better to die than be a coward"
9. Which nation's VC equivalent is the Param Vir Chakra"?
10. Which Regular Force component wears busbies?
ANSWERS TO THE TRIVIA QUESTIONS ON PAGE 42:
1. (a) Napoleon Bonaparte
(b) Lord Kitchener
(c) Benedict Arnold
2. 13 June 1940 (left 18 June)
4. B-29 which dropped bomb ('Gilda') in Bikini test
5. He developed K-rations
6. US-made Burgess-Dunne biplane
7. Bikini atoll (renamed in 1946)
8. Brigade of Gurkhas
10. Royal Canadian Horse Artillery