Printer Friendly

AT&T AND RUSSIAN TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMPANY DALNYA SVIAZ SIGNS AGREEMENT

AT&T AND RUSSIAN TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMPANY DALNYA SVIAZ SIGNS AGREEMENT
 NEW YORK, Feb. 12 /PRNewswire/ -- AT&T and the Russian telecommunications company Dalnya Sviaz (DALS) signed an agreement today in St. Petersburg to establish a joint venture company for the marketing, sales, and provisioning of telecommunications equipment.
 AT&T Network Systems International (AT&T-NSI) will own 68 percent of the joint venture, which is called AT&T of St. Petersburg. The remaining 32 percent will be owned by DALS.
 In its initial start-up phase the joint venture will market and sell digital transmission equipment from AT&T for the Russian market. During this phase the venture will work to adapt systems to local standards.
 "We are delighted to have the leading Russian telecommunications manufacturer DALS as our partner in the promising Russian market," said Auke Gerbens, vice president of marketing and international sales of AT&T Network Systems International.
 "With our partnership with AT&T we show our clients our capability to help them meet their future telecommunications needs," said Yuri Rudov, president of DALS.
 The market for telecommunications products in Russia holds great promise. There is a particularly great need for long distance transmission equipment with high bit rates.
 AT&T continues to urge the liberalization of technology restrictions imposed by the Coordinating Committee for Multilateral Export Controls (COCOM). "It is more important than ever before that COCOM ease controls on telecommunications equipment," said Randolph Lumb, AT&T government affairs vice president. "Our customers in Russia will need the full range of modern technology in order to improve their telephone networks."
 Dalnya Sviaz is the market leader in the development and manufacturing of transmission and data processing equipment in the Commonwealth of Independent States. The company has its headquarters in St. Petersburg and has a workforce of 7,000 employees.
 DALS develops and manufactures analog and digital transmission systems, fiber optic components and systems, measuring devices, navigation and medical equipment. Over the years DALS installed the entire long distance telephone network of Russia.
 AT&T is very active in the former Soviet Union. In October 1991, direct dial telephone service between the Republic of Armenia and the rest of the world was established, using an AT&T 5ESS(R) gateway switch providing 180 circuits.
 Last month AT&T announced the formation of a joint venture company in Ukraine with the State Committee of Communications and PTT Telecom of the Netherlands. This joint venture will build, own, operate and modernize the international and long distance telephone network in Ukraine.
 -0- 2/12/91
 /CONTACT: Paul Provost, 201-606-2826, or home, 908-730-6484, or Cees Steijger (In The Netherlands), 31-35-87-1212, or home, 31-33-94-6662, both for AT&T/
 (T) CO: AT&T; Dalnya Sviaz ST: New Jersey IN: TLS SU: JVN SH-OS -- NY016 -- 9116 02/12/92 09:30 EST
COPYRIGHT 1992 PR Newswire Association LLC
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1992 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:PR Newswire
Date:Feb 12, 1992
Words:466
Previous Article:DIGITAL BIOMETRICS ANNOUNCES FIRST QUARTER RESULTS
Next Article:C.H. HEIST CORPORATION TURNS CORNER IN FOURTH QUARTER WITH INCREASED SALES AND EARNINGS
Topics:


Related Articles
AT&T TO MODERNIZE KAZAKHSTAN TELECOM
AT&T BEGINS DIRECT-DIAL SERVICE TO COMMONWEALTH OF INDEPENDENT STATES
AT&T BEGINS DIRECT-DIAL SERVICE TO COMMONWEALTH OF INDEPENDENT STATES
AT&T BEGINS DIRECT-DIAL SERVICE TO 15 FORMER SOVIET REPUBLICS, WITH MORE CIRCUITS THAN ANY OTHER COMPANY
PLD Telekom Reports Operating Profit On Revenue Increases For Second Quarter And First Half Of 1996
PLD Telekom Reports Operating Profit On Revenue Increases For Second Quarter And First Half Of 1996
PLD Telekom Increases Stake in Technocom Limited to 80.4%; PLD Interest in Teleport-TP, MTR-Sviaz and Rosh Telecom Close to 40%
Iridium in Regulatory Compliance Process to Enter Russian Market.
Iridium in Regulatory Compliance Process to Enter Russian Market.
IRIDIUM IN REGULATORY PROCESS TO ENTER RUSSIAN MARKET.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2016 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters