Printer Friendly

A stadium steeped in history.

Named after Archbishop Croke of Cashel, Dublin's super stadium is literally embedded in Irish independence.

Rubble from the Easter Rising of 1916 at nearby O'Connell Street formed the original terracing at the railway end, hence its name Hill 16 and the sacred status which has enabled it to survive as the only standing area left in among the world's top venues.

On November 21, 1920, the day after a dozen of their agents had been assassinated in Dublin, British troops invaded Croke Park and killed 16 at a Dublin-Tipperary Gaelic football match.

Among them was the Tipperary captain Mick Hogan, who has a stand named after him.

'Bloody Sunday' was a major factor in the formation of Rule 42, forbidding so-called British sports, which was so controversially abandoned two years ago.

Mind you, until the early Seventies, any Gaelic footballer caught playing rugby, soccer or even cricket was handed a life suspension!
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2007 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Huddersfield Daily Examiner (Huddersfield, England)
Date:Feb 22, 2007
Previous Article:Silence please.
Next Article:HOT SHOTS.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters