Printer Friendly

A moving city story.

Amateur artists appear to have been at work on yet another Newcastle monument in this Chronicle archive picture from October 1971.

But appearances can be deceiving, and in this instance the hieroglyphics were the work of staff from the city engineer's department.

It was all part of a plan to move the drinking fountain at the junction of Clayton Road and the Great North Road, out of the path of the proposed motorway. The fountain, dedicated to Ald WD Stephens, Mayor of Newcastle in 1887, was dismantled stone by stone and moved some yards further back.
COPYRIGHT 2007 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2007 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Evening Chronicle (Newcastle, England)
Date:Feb 24, 2007
Words:96
Previous Article:Vent your spleen.
Next Article:Crime efforts pay off.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters