A look into the new CARING website.
1. Transform CARING's web presence from a collection of flat files manageable by one overarching administrator to a decentralized model allowing for content components or modules to be managed by various users.
2. Provide a real-time, searchable, and integrated membership directory.
The integrated membership database is the core component that drives access to all other website features. In addition to serving as access control, it also enables members to manage their own online profile, pay membership dues, subscribe or unsubscribe from the e-list, and query other member profiles using the contact center. Having members manage their own information and preferences also improves the overall management and administration of the database online. Other major content areas of the website include:
* Event Calendar--displays informatics-related events ranging from networking dinners and meetings to the latest Weekend Immersion in Nursing Informatics. It also provides other features such as online event registration and functionality for exporting events to a personal calendar.
* Mobile Link--available only to current members actively logged into the website, provides on-the-go access to the integrated members' directory from a web-enabled Personal Digital Assistant or Smart Phone.
* Bulletin Board--used to host a wide range of member submitted documents. The goal of this content area is to create a collaborative repository of documentation and discussions to support common projects and issues within the disciplines of informatics. Members are encouraged to upload non-proprietary content to any of the topical categories and are welcomed to provide suggestions for additional categories. Any CARING member interested in moderating a category should contact one of the board members. Topical categories currently include:
--Industry Documents with sample and real-world content ranging from wireless mobile device guidelines to Request For Proposal templates.
--Past meeting presentations.
* CARING Newsletters--current issues made available to members, and older issues available to any visitor.
* Monthly Health News--a new member-supported section compiled by CARING member Kathleen Kimmel. This section is a great example for other members interested in maximizing the value of the website. Future focus feature areas will include online polls to capture both simple and complex questionnaires. Other areas considered for implementation include an integrated e-list, really simple syndication (RSS) feeds, and podcasts. Ideas for a simple questionnaire are welcome; just contact any CARING board member. In addition, all visitors to the website are invited to provide feedback or comments about the site in using the website feedback link under the "Actions" menu.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Author:||Prouse, Stephen W.|
|Date:||Dec 22, 2006|
|Previous Article:||CARING-AMIA luncheon.|
|Next Article:||Introducing new CARING Board of Directors for 2007.|
|Finding good health information on the web.|
|CARING job bank status report.|
|March 2006 CARING meeting report.|
|On-line voting for Board of Directors a auccess!|
|CARING Job Bank update.|