Printer Friendly

A day in the life...

DAVID RADLEY lives in Kingston Park, Newcastle, with his wife and two children and is branch manager at North Eastern Tyre and Autocare (NETA), in Silverlink, North Tyneside. 6.45am: Alarm switched off, the daily morning rush ensues before my wife Sheila and I leave the house in time to drop Sheila at work and for me to arrive at the NETA Silverlink for the opening at 8am.

7.50am: The computers are all switched on and I quality-check the two-storey reception area ensuring that it is kitted out with today's newspapers, that the internet and free Wifi are up and running, the drinks machine is switched on and that the customer toilets and babychange facilities are clean.

8am: I unlock the doors and welcome any waiting customers.

8.15am: Time for a quick catch up with Kevin Davidson, the workshop manager, to see what's booked in for the day. Our MoT and interim service promotion is proving popular at the moment.

9am: With most of the day's cars now checked in, I update the staff customer service board. Every one of the 13-strong team at NETA Silverlink is incentivised to meet our company targets based on customer satisfaction. As a branch we adhere to these key performance indicators and any bonuses the branch receives are shared evenly among the team; a tyre fitter will receive the same as a manager.

10am With everything well under way in the depot, I retreat to my office to finalise next week's rotas. Being open seven days a week and until late on Thursdays, it's imperative that we have a fully staffed branch to cover its extensive opening hours.

11am I spend the rest of the morning pitching in where needed.

12.30pm Having grabbed a quick sandwich, I help out on reception answering what seems like a constant stream of inquiries relating to availability of tyres or booking in for a service/MoT.

2pm: Any tyres ordered earlier in the morning arrive from our Middlesbrough warehouse.

3pm: I meet regional manager Norman Blackburn for one of our regular catch-ups. A key part of my role is to make sure that the public are fully informed of our great deals.

4.30pm: I make sure that all customers who have a service or MoT booked in for tomorrow have been sent a reminder text.

5.15pm With most cars now collected, I take some time with the workshop manager to go through the day and make sure we are fully stocked for the following day.

6pm: The last to leave the branch, I have enough time to drive home, get changed and head out to referee a basketball game at Northumbria University.

I've been refereeing Junior National as well as Tyne Met league games for years and spend at least a couple of nights a week travelling from Alnwick to Sunderland. It's a fantastic way to end a busy day at work.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2011 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Features
Publication:Evening Chronicle (Newcastle, England)
Date:Apr 28, 2011
Previous Article:Training the contact centre staff of future.
Next Article:Growing firm has more new faces.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters