Printer Friendly

8 BIFF terrorists killed in air strikes in Maguindanao.

Military air strikes in Maguindanao on Saturday claimed eight members of the Islamic State-linked Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF).

Maj. Gen. Cirilito Sobejana, the commander of Joint Task Force Central (JTFC ), said the FA-50 bombing sorties over the weekend resulted in the death of eight terrorists, five of whom were identified as Hashim; Abo Salik; Abo Tutin; Saidin Kusain, Guabar Sulaiman.

Ten others were wounded, including Salahudin Hassan, who was in critical condition.

Sobejana said the air strikes were launched after a subcommander of the BIFF provided the military with information on the location of other BIFF members.

Ten BIFF gunmen under Subcommander Gani Saligan surrendered to the Army and were presented to Sobejana by Brig. Gen. Diosdado Carreon, 601st Infantry Brigade commander, in simple ceremonies here Sunday.

Among those killed during the air strikes were a BIFF faction subleader, two Indonesians, two Middle Eastern-looking men, and a suspected Singaporean.

Among those hurt was Salahudin Hassan, a bomb-making expert who belonged to Abu Toraife group.

Sobejana said the military was validating reports that among those killed was Toraife because he was at the camp during the air strikes.

'We assure the people that safety procedures were undertaken and deliberately planned by JTFC giving due concern to the safety of the civilians,' Sobejana said.

He added that the operations had been coordinated with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF). Edwin Fernandez, Inquirer Mindanao

'It was far from civilian communities so no civilians were affected,' he added.

Sobejana said he was determined 'to defeat these threat groups and prevent them from doing terroristic activities and to bring about peace in Central Mindanao,' Sobejana said.

COPYRIGHT 2019 Asianet-Pakistan
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2019 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Philippines Daily Inquirer (Makati City, Philippines)
Date:Feb 5, 2019
Words:326
Previous Article:Prosecutors has 36 hours to resolve cases vs suspects in Jolo bombings.
Next Article:Heartbreak for Ceres Negros after AFC Champions League exit.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2020 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters