Printer Friendly

4 public officials testify in court over false claims about BBP leader.

ySTANBUL (CyHAN)- Four public officials in the Central Anatolian province of Kayseri testified in court on Wednesday in the trial of Dursun Euzmen, the deputy head of the KahramanmaraE- Police Department's intelligence unit in 2009, who faces charges of misconduct in the death of former Grand Unity Party (BBP) leader Muhsin Yazycyoy-lu, who died in a helicopter crash along with five others in 2009.

Euzmen allegedly wrote a note during search and rescue efforts suggesting that the late BBP leader was still alive immediately after the crash. The note in question was announced to the public by then-Kayseri Governor MevlE-t Bilici and was claimed to have negatively affected the activities of the search and rescue teams, which failed to find Yazycyoy-lu.

Euzmen is accused of undermining the search and rescue activities and misinforming the public, including the families of the victims, through misconduct. Euzmen's note claimed that the BBP leader was in an ambulance en route to a hospital after having his leg broken during the crash, while in fact neither the helicopter wreckage nor any of the victims had been found at the time. The content of the note was communicated to the police departments of 10 provinces in the space of five minutes. Later an autopsy conducted on the body of Yazycyoy-lu indicated that his leg was broken.

On Wednesday four public officials at the time -- then-Kayseri Special Provincial Administration Secretary-General and current NevE-ehir Deputy Governor Mustafa Atsyz, Kayseri Healthcare Director Ahmet EuksE-zkaya, Anadolu news agency Regional Director ysmail ycer and then-Kayseri Police Department intelligence unit head Ali Orhan Dinc -- testified at the Kayseri 9th Criminal Court of Peace at Euzmen's trial.

The witnesses were asked whether they know the source of the claims suggesting that Yazycyoy-lu was alive and that he was being hospitalized while search and rescue efforts to find the wreckage of the helicopter were still in progress.

Atsyz said the information about Yazycyoy-lu being alive was given to Bilici by then Kayseri Police Chief Orhan Euzdemir and a senior officer at the Gendarmerie Regional Command who at the time had confirmed the information from officials in KahramanmaraE- where the helicopter crashed.

"That is all I know," Atsyz said. The other witnesses also made similar statements.

Only three days after the 2009 crash were the helicopter wreckage and the bodies of the passengers, including Yazycyoy-lu, found by local villagers. However, a document that was sent to the Malatya Public Prosecutor's Office shows that military helicopters actually found the wreckage on the day of the crash but did not report the find to rescue teams.

(Cihan/Today's Zaman) CyHAN

Copyright 2014 Cihan News Agency. All right reserved. Provided by SyndiGate Media Inc. ( ).
COPYRIGHT 2014 Al Bawaba (Middle East) Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2014 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Cihan News Agency (CNA)
Date:Jun 5, 2014
Previous Article:Teacher fined for insulting PM Erdoy-an.
Next Article:PM says Gezi protests not linked to environmental concerns.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2020 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters