Printer Friendly

3500 cases in Sindh dropped under National Reconciliation Ordinance: Justice (Retired) Naveed.

KARACHI, November 05, 2009 (Frontier Star): Former judge of Sindh High Court Justice (Retd) Khawaja Naveed Ahmad has said more than 3500 cases were dropped under the National Reconciliation Ordinance (NRO) in Sindh, adding, most of the case were against the workers and leaders of the Muttahida Qaumi Movement. In an interview with a private TV channel here on Thursday, he made it clear that there was no corruption case in cases against the MQM, which were dropped under the NRO. According to him, a three-member committee had been constituted under the head of Justice (Retd) Ghous Mohammad and other members including him and Justice (Retd) Rana Shamim, which were prosecutor general at that time for dropping the cases under NRO. Under the recommendations of the committee, he added, the cases were dropped under section 494-C on the directions of the then chief minister Arbab Ghulam Rahim, secretary interior and chief secretary. He made it clear that section 494-C has always been part of the law, however before the issuance of NRO the court had the power under the law that it could reject the application withdrawing cases but under NRO this power was taken back from the court and after that the court had no option but to dispose off cases. Justice Naveed said the NRO committee did not withdraw about 450 such cases, which fell under the norms of Qisas and Diyat (blood-for-blood) sections, while cases, which applicants were actively pursuing, were also not withdrawn. Replying to a question regarding the MQM claim that it has not taken any relief under the ordinance, Khawaja said it was correct that there were no cases of corruption against their members; and said that cases of other nature were dropped under the ordinance.

(THROUGH ASIA PULSE)
COPYRIGHT 2009 Asia Pulse Pty Ltd
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2009 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:The Frontier Star (Northwest Frontier Province, Pakistan)
Date:Nov 5, 2009
Words:295
Previous Article:Balochistan National Party calls for success of shutter down strike in Quetta today.
Next Article:Government to procure one million tone rice from farmers: Nazar Muhammad Gondal.


Related Articles
IHC seeks report about freezing of $550,000 bank account.
IHC acquits former Deputy General Manager PTCL under NRO.
No SC judge to hold govt office in future: CJP.
Hearing of NAB petition against acquittal of ex-Chairman PAMC under NRO adjourned.
List of NRO beneficiaries goes missing.
List of NRO beneficiaries goes missing.
List of National Reconciliation Ordinance beneficiaries goes missing.
NA body sends amended NRO to NA after approval.
NA Standing Committee approves National Reconciliation Bill by majority.
NA body sends amended NRO to NA after approval.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters