300 feared dead after boats sink in Mediterranean.
ROME (TAP) - At least 300 migrants are feared dead after boats sink in Mediterranean, U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees said on Wednesday. The UN High Commissioner for Refugees said that the Italian coast guard brought 110 survivors to safety on the Italian island of Lampedusa. Some of the survivors had reported that four boats had left Libya together and that the youngest person missing is a 12-year-old boy. On Tuesday, Italian authorities said at least 29 African migrants died of hypothermia trying to cross the sea from Libya in frigid weather. More than 218,000 people crossed the Mediterranean through irregular routes last year and about 3,500 people died trying, the UNHCR said.
Tap 2015 Provided by SyndiGate Media Inc. ( Syndigate.info ).
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Agency Tunis Afrique Press|
|Date:||Feb 11, 2015|
|Previous Article:||Thousands protest against Houthi rule in Yemen.|
|Next Article:||3 muslims shot to death in apartment near UNC.|