Printer Friendly

3 ISAF soldiers among 6 dead in Kapisa blast.

MAHMUD RAQI (PAN): A suicide car bomber exploded his explosive-laden vehicle against a convoy of NATO-led ISAF troops,killing three soldiers and three civilians and injuring three others including a soldier and two civilians in central Kapisa province on Tuesday, officials said and the alliance said.

Three International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) service-members were killed and one injured after an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) attack in eastern Afghanistan this morning,ISAF said in a statement issued here on Tuesday.

The interior ministry in a statement said three US soldiers under NATO command and three civilians were killed in the car bombing.

Two civilians were wounded in the attack, the ministry said. Earlier, Kapisa's deputy police chief Col. Ataullah Wahab, who witnessed the blast, told Pajhwok Afghan News that the powerful car explosion that occurred at around 8:00am in Sayad area of the province killed five ISAF soldiers and injured many civilians.

Wahab added the injured people were rushed into a nearby hospital after the attack. He gave no further details. Director of the Abdusaboor Farid Hospital Dr. Khalid Inayat said a dead body and four injured including a 12-year-old child had been brought to the hospital. He said the condition of the injured was stable.

The wounded 12-year-old child Khosh Ahmad, a resident of Daud Khel area, said they were repairing a Rickshaw at their shop in the area when the attack happened on four vehicles of the ISAF near their shop. "I and my instructor sustained injuries in the blast," he said. Qari Mansoor,who claims to speak for Hizbi Islami Afghanistan led by former jihadi commander Gulbadin Hekmatyar claimed the attack over the telephone from an undisclosed location.

He said Saiful Islam, their fighter, who was a resident of Kapisa carried out the suicide bombing, killing ten ISAF soldiers and destroying their two vehicles.

Since the beginning of this year, 50 suicide attacks had occurred in Afghanistan and it was the first suicide attack in Kapisa province this year.

Copyright Pajhwok Afghan News. All rights reserved.

Provided by Syndigate.info an Albawaba.com company
COPYRIGHT 2009 Al Bawaba (Middle East) Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2009 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Pajhwok Afghan News (Kabul, Afghanistan)
Date:May 27, 2009
Words:347
Previous Article:Weapons, narcotics cache destroyed in Helmand.
Next Article:Forces kill eight militants in Uruzgan.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters