27 Japanese tourists banned from Biak cave.
Twenty-seven Japanese tourists were blocked Tuesday from visiting a historic cave that was used by Japanese soldiers during World War II on Indonesia's Biak Island, the state-run Antara news agency reported.
Yusuf Rumaropen, who has rights over the cave, said Japanese tourists are unwelcome until compensation for the transfer of remains of Japanese soldiers from the cave to a museum in Japan is settled.
Rumaropen said he has been waiting for the unnamed museum in Japan to pay compensation since October last year.
The blockage Tuesday marked the second time Japanese were prevented from visiting the cave, locally known as ''Japanese Cave,'' the report said.
Biak lies to the north of Papua on the island of New Guinea.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Asian Economic News|
|Date:||Nov 27, 2000|
|Previous Article:||Taiwan stocks gain 5.32% on improved volume, gov't buying.|
|Next Article:||FOCUS: Long-delayed Thai airport project causing headaches.|