2017-18: A year of accomplishment for Rotary 2017-18 contributions.
* For the first time, Marion Rotary had a float in the Marion Homecoming Parade.
* In October 2017, held our annual Family Movie Night and 5K run at the Rosalie and Tilden Parks Rotary Amphitheater.
* Redesigned the Marion Rotary Club banner and bought a new pop-up banner to take to events.
* Created the Marion Rotary Club Mission Statement.
* Continued our Bottle Cap Friendship Bench project, placing benches around Marion.
* Held the first Classical Country Christmas, which raised $12,000, which was contributed to our first responders -- the Marion Police Department, Marion Fire Department and Life Line Ambulance Services.
* Held the 4th annual Rotary Trivia Night; a huge success that raised about $10,000 raised for the club.
* Held the 89th annual MHS Rotary Awards, honoring 10 high school students in each class, and distributing $19,400 in scholarships to Marion High School seniors.
* For the first time in many years, had an outbound Rotary Youth Exchange student, Kaylynn Lundgren, who went to Thailand.
* Greatly increased our community service efforts, donating volunteers and supplies to Lighthouse Shelter, Habitat for Humanity, This Able Veteran 5K run, Salvation Army, Veterans Honor Flight of Southern Illinois, and donating food to the Marion Ministerial Alliance.
* We will donate $10,000 to the Marion Park District for their All Inclusive Playground Project, and will be donating thousands of dollars to other local organizations, such as Habitat for Humanity for Humanity, Lighthouse Shelter and others as we close out the year.
* The Belize Children's Project, $1,000
* Marion Rotary Scholarship Foundation, $1,500 to fund one scholarship and $19,000 in scholarships funded by the endowments of other people and families.
* Marion Grad Spree, $500
* Marion Medical Mission, $1,200 (Donated by Paul Langan, who died this year).
* Marion Brick Project, $500
* Friendship Benches (bottle cap project), $2,263 for our cost.
* Heartland Rotary Club Bocci Ball Fundraiser, $150
* District 6510 charities $1,000
* Marion first responders, $12,000 total from our Classical Country Christmas. $4,000 each to the Marion police, fire department and Lifeline Ambulance service.
Rotary Foundation, $1,000
Polio Plus, $1,000
Habitat for Humanity, $1,000
Ministerial Alliance, $500
Lighthouse Shelter, $1,000
This Able Veteran, $500
Marion Park District, $10,000 (included a $1,950 grant from Rotary District 6510)
Southern Illinois Veterans Honor Flight, $1,000
Women's Center, $1,000
Sarah Sanders (exchange student), $2,000
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Daily Herald (Arlington Heights, IL)|
|Date:||Jul 13, 2018|
|Previous Article:||Marion Rotary Club Since 1923, united for the common good of Marion Rotary.|
|Next Article:||Carnegie Library is more than just books.|