2006 TAPPI award winners and new Fellows.
Established in 1928, the TAPPI Gunnar Nicholson Gold Medal is given to an individual or individuals who have made preeminent scientific and engineering achievements of proven commercial benefit to the world's pulp, paper, board, and forest products industries and the other industries that TAPPI serves. The 2006 Gunnar Nicholson Gold Medal will be awarded to Nils Hartler, Professor Emeritus of the Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm, Sweden. The TAPPI Gunnar Nicholson Gold Medal is the highest honor that the Association can bestow upon an individual.
The TAPPI Herman L. Joachim Distinguished Service Award was first presented in 1994 and was established to recognize an individual for voluntary leadership and service which have significantly and demonstrably contributed to the advancement of the Association. David A. Carlson, Technical Director for Smurfit-Stone Container Corporation in Chicago, Illinois USA will receive the 2006 Herman L. Joachim Distinguished Service Award.
The TAPPI Paul W. Magnabosco Outstanding Local Section Award recognizes outstanding leadership and exceptional service to one or more Local Sections which has resulted in significant and demonstrable benefits to Local Section members. The 2006 Award will be presented to Lakes States Local Section member Sandra M. Lenz, Process Engineer for Appleton Coated-Locks Mill in Combined Locks, Wisconsin USA.
TAPPI Fellow is an honorary title bestowed upon less than one percent of TAPPI's membership, and is given to individuals who have made extraordinary technical or service contributions to the industry and/or the Association. The following individuals have been named 2006 TAPPI Fellows:
* Elwood M. Beach, Consultant, Aston Johnson, Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
* John L. "Jack" Clement, President, Clement Consulting Inc., Akron, Ohio, USA
* Richard J. Croker, Director Technical Services, Georgia-Pacific Corp., Atlanta, GA, USA
* Jose L. Gomide, Professor, Universidade Federal De Vicosa, Department of Forestry, Vicosa, Brazil
* Gopal C. Goyal, Manager Fiber Development Technology Center, International Paper, Loveland, Ohio, USA
* Michael E. Haas, Technical Director, Longview Fibre Company, Longview, WA, USA
* John E. Hanby, Executive Director, Washington Pulp & Paper Foundation, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
* Jonathan C. Kerr, Director, Sales & Technology, Andritz Inc., Loveland, OH, USA
* Margaret K. Joyce, Ph.D., Research Professor, Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
* Max D. Moskal, Principal Metallurgical Engineer, Mechanical & Materials Engineering, Indian Head Park, Illinois, USA
* Nick G. Triantafillopoulos, Ph.D., Director of New Technologies, Rohm-Nova, Akron, Ohio, USA
* Barbara van Lierop, Scientist, PAPRICAN, Pointe Claire, Quebec, Canada
The 2006 award winners and new TAPPI Fellows will be honored at the TAPPI Annual Meeting and Awards Ceremony, March 8, 2006 in Atlanta, Georgia, USA
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Title Annotation:||TAPPI NEWS|
|Publication:||Solutions - for People, Processes and Paper|
|Date:||Mar 1, 2006|
|Previous Article:||Three elected to TAPPI Board of Directors.|
|Next Article:||New or revised Technical Information Papers (TIPs) and Test Methods.|