2 Granite St./38 Winthrop St., Worcester.
Marillac Manor, a home for unwed mothers, took over this mansion at at 38 Winthrop St. in Worcester in 1955 when the Xaverian Brothers moved out to run St. John's Preparatory School from Shrewsbury.
The property is now occupied by YOU Inc's Wetzel Center, which has an address of 2 Granite St.
Marillac Manor housed unwed mothers who were awaiting treatment at another Roman Catholic institution across the street, St. Vincent Hospital on Winthrop Street.
St. Vincent Hospital (on the former site of another Crompton family mansion) was founded by the Sisters of Providence in the 1890s; the nonprofit was not an unusual project for the Canadian-founded order, whose goal was to help the poor and oppressed.
St. Vincent Hospital was named after their patron, St. Vincent de Paul.
Vincent de Paul was the spiritual mentor, in the 17th century, for the religious career of Louise de Marillac, who went on to champion the poor and oppressed and founded the Sisters of Charity. She was eventually made a saint by the Roman Catholic Church.
Louise, herself, was the daughter of an unwed mother, though she was acknowledged by her aristocratic father and spent her childhood among the aristocracy of France. She married, gave birth to a son, and, after her husband died, began the work serving the sick and the poor; that work became the Sisters of Charity with her mentor, Vincent de Paul.
The opening of Marillac Manor in Worcester filled what the Sisters of Providence recognized as a need in the community for a place for unwed mothers to be cared for.
-- Melissa McKeon