Printer Friendly

1 PUNCH.. 7 YEARS; HORROR OF UNPROVOKED ATTACK; Vicious thug is jailed for 'catastrophic' single strike which left his friend permanently disabled.


A SERIAL thug who carried out a "catastrophic" one-punch attack on a pal was jailed for seven years yesterday.

Stuart Kitt - who previously served time after forcing a four-year-old girl into a freezer - landed the single blow on Colin Braidwood in Edinburgh's Royal Mile.

His victim suffered serious injuries after falling and hitting his head on the pavement.

Sentencing Kitt, 39, at the High Court in Edinburgh, judge Lord Pentland said the brutal assault had left Colin "incapable of living independently".

The judge told Kitt: "You were convicted after trial of a serious assault which There no endangered your victim's life and left him permanently impaired.

"You punched the victim with substantial force in an unprovoked attack in the street.

"It seemed to me, from the evidence, that you completely lost control of yourself."

The court had previously heard Kitt has 46 convictions, including for violent crimes.

Lord Pentland said he was satisfied Kitt was a "prolific criminal" who represented a "serious danger to public safety".

But he decided not to impose a life sentence through an Order for Lifelong Restriction after calling for reports.

Defence counsel David Nicholson said his client was "amenable to change" and willing to take courses in jail to address his behaviour.

Nicholson said Kitt had taken steps to address his addiction issues and had passed three drug tests in prison since being held on remand in December 2016.

The report had concluded the "core" of Kitt's problems and offending was the traumatic abuse he suffered as a child.

Kitt was found guilty in August of assaulting Colin, 36, to his permanent impairment and disfigurement and to the danger of his life on December 21, 2016.

The attack came only eight months after Kitt had been freed from jail.

Colin's girlfriend Natasha McCallum told the trial that on the night of the attack, she had been in a flat with him when Kitt and another woman arrived.

All four had travelled to the High Street where Natasha was to get a prescription. She said she'd intended to get Colin to a taxi and return to the flat on their own.

An unprovoked They had gone towards the Radisson Blu hotel but no taxis were there.

She said: "Then the accused punched him with everything he had."

The prosecutor asked why the assaulted occurred.Natasha said: "No reason whatsoever. A pure liberty. An unprovoked attack."

Natasha said that before he threw the punch, Kitt had said she was too good looking for her partner.

Kitt was jailed for four years and three months in 2011 for forcing a girl into a freezer.

He was convicted of dragging her by the ankles and putting her arms in the freezer cabinet to her severe injury and permanent disfigurement.

There was no reason whatsoever .. a pure liberty. An unprovoked attack VICTIM'S GIRLFRIEND


BRUTAL Kitt completely lost control, the judge said yesterday. Picture: Duncan S Simpson

COPYRIGHT 2018 Scottish Daily Record & Sunday
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2018 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Daily Record (Glasgow, Scotland)
Date:Jan 19, 2018
Previous Article:Shocked daughter spotted serial sex beast working in a benefits office.
Next Article:Court bid by ex-Gers accountant.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters