Printer Friendly

`Horror movie' in cat food can.

A PET lover opened a can of worms when a tin of cat food exploded, showering her with maggots.

Sue Crane, of Pontprennau, Cardiff, said the gruesome ordeal began when she went to feed her cats yesterday with a tin of Whiskas.

She said, ``It was like something out of a horror movie. I opened the can, it exploded and there were maggots and flies all over my face.

Mrs Crane, 48, said she could see no sign of damage to the can, which she returned to the Asda store where she bought it.

A spokeswoman for Whiskas manufacturer Masterfoods said the company was extremely concerned to hear about Mrs Crane's experience and would be investigating.

Every precaution was taken to ensure the company's products reached customers in first-class condition, she said.

``Cans of Whiskas leave our manufacturing site as sealed units. It is very rare for these to become damaged during distribution but from the consumer's description it appears that this may have happened in this instance. If the can becomes damaged in some way, which may not be visible, air could enter the can and cause decomposition of the product, which could then attract flies which deposit eggs or larvae.''
COPYRIGHT 2003 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2003 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Western Mail (Cardiff, Wales)
Date:May 24, 2003
Words:202
Previous Article:Move to tackle unemployment capital.
Next Article:Warning on isle's haves and have-nots.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters