Printer Friendly

`Dad's agony due to delay on killer bug' Daughter blames hospital for wait.


A NORTH Wales hospital took eight months to diagnose a man with the potentially-fatal MRSA superbug, leaving him fighting for his life,his daughter claimed yesterday.

Derek Parry's daughter was called to his bedside when doctors feared he was about to die.

But the 59-year-old, who is being nursed in isolation at Ysbyty Penrhos Stanley,Holyhead,has fought back.

Deborah Parry says she first asked doctors nearly 10 months ago for MRSA tests on Mr Parry.

But the 37-year-old,of Morawelon Road,Holyhead, where Mr Parry lived until he went into hospital,claims she was told ``it wasn't an issue.''

``He went into the hospital to be treated for a virus. But after a month his eyes closed and he was in serious pain,'' Ms Parry said.

``They told me it was chronic eye dryness. I asked them to test for MRSA but they told me it wasn't an issue.

``I watched his health go down and down. He couldn't get his breath, he couldn't swallow,he couldn't see.

``They swabbed him two months ago and confirmed he had MRSA in his eyes,in his throat and in his chest. They put him into isolation four weeks ago.''

Ms Parry said she nursed her dad back to health after he suffered a stroke eight years ago.

``It is absolutely devastating to see him like this,'' she said: ``They called me in a couple of weeks ago because they did not think he was going to last the night.

``I am angry with the hospital, I don't know why they didn't test him when he first went in.''

Ms Parry claimed there were serious questions over the hospital's hygiene procedures including nurses not washing their hands before administering eye drops to Mr Parry.

A North West Wales NHS Trust spokeswoman refused to comment on Mr Parry's case but said systems were in place to reduce MRSA infections.

She said: ``Measures to reduce the risks of infection are an integral part of health care procedures.

``The hospital has measures in place to reduce the incidence of MRSA transmission.

``We cannot comment on individual cases.''

Ms Parry contacted the Daily Post after a special investigation into the spread of MRSA (methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus) at North Wales hospitals.

It revealed superbug experts could be drafted in to combat the bacteria, which is sweeping the region's hospitals.


Deborah Parry has watched her father's health go down and down; Derek Parry is being nursed in isolation; Picture: GERALLT RADCLIFFE
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2003 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Daily Post (Liverpool, England)
Date:Apr 18, 2003
Previous Article:NW house prices still on the rise.
Next Article:Warm weather should lure migrant birds back.

Related Articles
I've been to hell and back.
KILLER BUG ATE UP MY STOMACH; EXCLUSIVE: National Horror Service Mum to sue hospital after virus strikes.
E COLI HITS DAD; Bug strikes again as girl fights for life.
Charity worker dies from malaria trying to save the African people he so loved; NEWLYWED TRAGEDY.
Tragic death of `smashing son' Lee, 8, died 36 hours after falling ill.
MUM'S BUG FEAR; Neighbour tells of her worries as tot battles to survive E Coli.
Excuse simply doesn't wash.
We want the money now to save lives.
Council to be sued over fatal poisoning.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2020 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters