Printer Friendly

/C O R R E C T I O N -- U S WEST/

 U S WEST, INC.
 ADDED TO DUFF & PHELPS RATING WATCH
 In NY048, the rating of U S WEST, Inc.'s subordinated liquid yield option notes, moved May 17, 1993, was incorrectly printed as Single-A- Plus. Correctly, U S WEST's subordinated LYONs are rated Single-A and are on Rating Watch with a developing trend. The corrected version follows:


DUFF & PHELPS ADDS U S WEST, INC. AND TWO SUBSIDIARIES TO RATING WATCH;
 U S WEST COMMUNICATIONS, INC.'S RATING REAFFIRMED AT `AA'
 CHICAGO, May 17 /PRNewswire/ -- Duff & Phelps Credit Rating Co. has placed the securities of U S WEST, Inc. (USW), U S WEST Capital Funding (USW-CF), and U S WEST Financial Services (USW-FS) on Rating Watch. The trend is developing. The guaranteed notes of USW-CF and the medium-term notes of USW-FS are rated "A+" (Single-A-Plus). The subordinated liquid yield option notes (LYONs) of USW are rated "A" (Single-A). The ratings of the medium-term notes and debentures of U S WEST Communications, Inc. (USW-C), are reaffirmed at "AA" (Double-A).
 These actions were taken as a result of the announcement that U S WEST plans to invest $2.5 billion to acquire a 25.51 percent interest in Time Warner Entertainment (TWE) from Time Warner. TWE is the second largest cable TV operator in the world with 6.3 million subscribers; it is a leading producer and distributor of motion pictures, television programs, and home video programming; and it owns HBO and Cinemax in addition to significant investments in other programming companies. Currently, Time Warner owns 87.5 percent of TWE and two Japanese companies own the remaining 12.5 percent. Time Warner and U S WEST plan to make substantial upgrades to all of TWE's existing cable TV franchises to offer telephony, interactive video, enhanced pay-per-view, and information services to its customers.
 Ultimately, U S WEST plans to finance this investment in large part with equity. Additionally, the company plans to pursue other strategic objectives that will enhance consolidated credit quality to offset the increased business risk inherent in the TWE investment. Depending on the amount of equity eventually used to finance this investment and the success of its other credit enhancing efforts, it is likely that the ratings of USW, USW-CF, and USW-FS will be reaffirmed at their current levels. However, in the short term, the business and financial risk of U S WEST will be increased. This investment signals a significant step up in the pace of competitive entry into the local exchange telephone industry. U S WEST Communications has a modern network and a relatively less urban service territory. This makes it well positioned to succeed in the increasingly competitive local exchange telephone business. As a result, the ratings of USW-C will not be impacted by this announcement.
 U S WEST, Inc., through U S WEST Communications, provides local telecommunications services to 12.9 million access lines in a 14-state region in the western United States. Other U S WEST subsidiaries are engaged in directory publishing, paging, cellular communications, and financial services businesses in the United States, and the cable TV and cellular communications businesses internationally.
 -0- 5/18/93
 /CONTACT: James J. Stork of Duff & Phelps, 312-368-3125/
 (USW)


CO: U S WEST, Inc. ST: IN: TLS SU: RTG TM -- NY120 -- 3042 05/18/93 17:05 EDT
COPYRIGHT 1993 PR Newswire Association LLC
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1993 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:PR Newswire
Date:May 18, 1993
Words:549
Previous Article:MOCON ANNOUNCES TECHNOLOGY DEVELOPMENT AT ANNUAL MEETING
Next Article:POWER ALLOCATION BOARD RECOMMENDATIONS COULD PROTECT MORE THAN 10,000 JOBS
Topics:


Related Articles
ASAE software vendor directory.
AT&T ANNOUNCES 'SPIRIT OF OLYMPIC GAMES' POSTER CONTEST
DCA ANNOUNCES SELECT COMM SERVER WITH PC ROUTER SUPPORT
ACCESS' NetFront Mobile Content Viewer Selected for Adobe GoLive CS 2; ACCESS Solution Provides Advanced Preview and Test Environment for Mobile...
Compuware Delivers Enhanced Enterprise Test Data Management Solution; Compuware File-AID/CS 3.0 Offers Rich Data-Management Functionality With...
Patients With HIV-Associated Wasting Gain More Weight With Concentrated Form of Megestrol Acetate, Study Shows.
Efeito de simbiotico na racao inicial de frangos de corte sobre o desempenho, qualidade de carcaca e carne.
Tunisia's Cup/2nd Preliminary Round Results.
Tunisia's Handball Cup: eighth final results.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2016 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters