'We won't stand for attacks on officers' POLICE CHIEF'S WARNING AS NINE COPS ASSAULTED IN ONE WEEKEND.
By LYDIA MORRIS Daily Post Reporter firstname.lastname@example.org A POLICE chief has promised to take "firm action" after nine assaults were made against North Wales Police officers this weekend.
One of the officers had to go to hospital after an incident in Bangor, while another was assaulted at Wrexham AFC's game against Newport County on Saturday.
Temporary Assistant Chief Constable Neill Anderson said the attacks were "unacceptable" and that the force would "not tolerate such behaviour".
It comes as figures show that more than 200 police officers have been attacked on the streets of North Wales since April, with incidents ranging from spitting to breaking an officer's jaw.
The statistic was revealed as new laws came into force earlier this month, introducing tougher sentences for those who attack emergency service workers.
This weekend alone, two assaults were made against two PCSOs in Bangor on Friday night, and another officer was assaulted while making an arrest in Deiniolen on Saturday afternoon.
The officer did not need medical treatment and remained on duty, but one of the PCSOs in Bangor received treatment for minor injuries at Ysbyty Gwynedd.
An officer was also assaulted in Llandudno and another in Prestatyn, while two more were assaulted in Rhyl when dealing with a person arrested for being drunk and disorderly.
In Wrexham, an officer was assaulted at the football game on Saturday, and a PCSO was assaulted in another incident.
The alleged attackers were charged using the new "protect the protectors" law, which was introduced in November and allows courts to impose stiffer sentences on those who assault members of the emergency services.
Get the latest North Wales news at www.dailypost.wales Mr Anderson said: "A number of times this year, we have expressed our concern about the readiness of some individuals to assault police officers and PCSOs while carrying out their lawful duties.
"The shocking incidents over the weekend across North Wales are completely unacceptable.
"Our officers are working hard to protect the most vulnerable and to keep people safe. An assault of any kind should never be considered 'part of the job' and offenders need to understand that North Wales Police will not tolerate such behaviour."
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Daily Post (Conwy, Wales)|
|Date:||Dec 4, 2018|
|Previous Article:||Nine schools and nurseries are top of country's class.|
|Next Article:||TRIBUTES TO MAN WHO HELPED SAVE N.WALES POLICE.|