'We wish we'd screamed the place down for our baby girl'.
THE devastated parents of a baby girl who died after medical staff failed to spot symptoms of sepsis wish they had now 'screamed down the hospital' to save her.
An inquest into the death of 15-month-old Evie Anne Crandle found that staff at Whiston Hospital failed to spot symptoms of sepsis.
The baby girl died of blood poisoning on April 16 last year, two days after she was first taken to Whiston Hospital by her concerned parents.
The court heard that Evie had symptoms of sepsis and that both her parents raised the issue of sepsis on a number of occasions with staff at Whiston hospital.
But staff suspected she might have a urinary infection and failed to administer antibiotics in time. Evie was transferred to Alder Hey Children's Hospital, where she died.
Coroner Julie Goulding recorded a verdict of death from natural causes contributed to by neglect. Speaking after the hearing, Evie's dad Phil Crandle said to the ECHO: "If we were there now, we would scream the place down until they treated her.
"Because we know what we do know, we constantly question ourselves over this. We feel guilt. And that feeling will never go away because you always want to do your best for your children. And we wanted to do our best for Evie."
Remembering his daughter, Phil said: "She was just perfect. She was so loving, so happy and so full of character. She made everything wonderful."
Evie's mum Samantha McNeice recalled the day Evie died. She said: "It was the worst day of our lives. Even when she was so poorly in hospital we never thought we would come out of there without her.
"Because we knew so much about sepsis, we thought we could protect her. It's just unbelievable.
"We raised the issue of sepsis straight away. We knew all the signs and they were there."
In her summary of the case, Ms Goulding found that staff at Whiston Hospital failed to recognise how ill Evie was, failed to put her on a sepsis pathway treatment path, failed to provide treatment in a timely manner and failed to take notice of her parents' concerns about her changed behaviour. Medical negligence lawyer Diane Rostron, who represented Evie's parents at the hearing, told the ECHO: "Sam and Phil were very clear that their 15-month-old daughter Evie was showing signs of sepsis.
"They knew this as soon as they arrived at Whiston Hospital and repeatedly alerted medical staff to this throughout that day. They have been failed by no less than six medical staff on the day and have unnecessarily lost their little girl.
"Evie was in the care of Whiston Hospital for no less than 16 hours. She was showing signs of sepsis at triage and should have been given antibiotics within one hour of admission, in line with national guidelines which the Trust chose to ignore.
"Evie Crandle could and should have been saved with a simple, and timely, course of antibiotics. The Trust failed to provide adequate levels of patient care and have since admitted liability for Evie's avoidable death."
Ms Goulding also said that St Helens and Knowsley NHS Foundation Trust had agreed to an action plan to prevent a future death of this type.
SEPSIS is a rare but potentially fatal condition, which can cause multiple organ failure.
It happens when the body's immune system goes into overdrive as it tries to fight an infection.
This causes inflammation which interferes with blood flow. It can be triggered by an infection, most commonly in the lungs, urinary tract, stomach and pelvis.
Early symptoms include fast breathing or a fast heartbeat, high or low temperature, chills and shivering. Severe symptoms can develop quickly and include blood pressure falling, dizziness, disorientation, slurred speech, mottled skin, nausea and vomiting.
Sepsis is treatable if identified and treated quickly.
Samantha McNeice and Phil Crandle with their daughter, Evie Crandle, who died after Whiston Hospital (inset)