Printer Friendly

'Speeding driver left victim, 61 dying in the road' defendant denies causing death of woman returning from worship.

Byline: ROSS MCCARTHY Court Reporter

THE speeding car that killed a 61-year-old woman as she left a temple was later found partly dismantled and painted black, Birmingham Crown Court heard.

Surrinder Kaur was hit by the vehicle as she attempted to cross Soho Road after attending Guru Nanak Nishkam temple.

Ghufran Khan stopped briefly at the scene, but then sped off, it was claimed, leaving the stricken woman, who had "catastrophic" injuries, lying in a pool of blood.

An attempt was made to cover up what had happened by hiding the car in a garage and dismantling it, it was alleged.

Khan, 27, of Tetley Road, Hall Green, denies causing the death of Mrs Kaur by dangerous driving.

Garage owner Rahees Nisar, 24, of Coverdale Road, Solihull, has pleaded not guilty to a charge of perverting the course of justice.

Mrs Kaur left Birmingham's Guru Nanak Nishkam temple at 5.20pm on December 4, 2015. She then went to cross the Soho Road while speaking on her phone, said Stefan Kolodinski, prosecuting.

Meanwhile Khan had been driving, city bound, along the road in a Vauxhall Astra.

Mr Kolodinski said the weather conditions were dry, the road well lit and the approach to the point of the impact was long and straight. The speed limit along the stretch was 30mph.

As Mrs Kaur saw the approaching vehicle she tried to make it to the other side of the road.

"But Khan was not paying attention and was going too fast, said Mr Kolodinski.

"He struck Mrs Kaur on the nearside front of his car, sending her flying in the air and landing on the tarmac in the road." He added that Khan stopped about four to five car lengths away, got out of his vehicle and spoke to a temple security guard.

"Meanwhile Mrs Kaur was lying in the road."

Mrs Kaur suffered a number of injuries. Her skull sustained multiple fractures and blood poured from her head.

"Khan knew what he had done and he got into his car and sped away," said Mr Kolodinski.

The victim was pronounced dead at the scene. The Astra was found 11 days later when police tracked it to an industrial unit in Floodgate Street owned by Nisar.

Mr Kolodinski said by that time the vehicle had been partly stripped, its engine taken out and a crude attempt had been made to paint it black.

He added that Nisar knew the car had been in an accident and was "dodgy."

Khan was eventually arrested on March 16 last year and told officers he had not been the driver, the court was told.

Mr Kolodinski said police had recovered the defendant's mobile phone where they found "selfies" he had taken of him and the Astra.


COPYRIGHT 2017 Birmingham Post & Mail Ltd
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2017 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Birmingham Mail (England)
Date:Aug 1, 2017
Previous Article:Man stabbed and another seriously injured.
Next Article:Albion have to make do and mend.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters