Printer Friendly

'She's very, very poorly ..but we're not giving up on her' - SURGEON YESTERDAY; EXCLUSIVE AGONY OF CANCER OP MUM.


BATTLING cancer mum Hayley Newbery's surgeons yesterday vowed to do all they can to save her.

Hayley, 26, was meant to have a five-hour op but endured an extra 10-and-a-half hours as doctors found more tumours.

She needed 30 pints of blood, 15 times the usual amount.

Prof Peter Lodge admitted: "Hayley's very, very poorly at the moment. She's young and that helps, but she is struggling.

"Right now we're trying to prevent her from dying.

"We're doing everything we can and taking it hour by hour. The next 24 to 48 hours are critical - but we're not giving up on her."

Last year the mum of three learnt she was two months from death unless she took wonder drug Avastin to shrink her liver and bowel tumours so they could be removed.

The medication was only available privately for pounds 50,000 until a Daily Mirror campaign helped her get it on the NHS.

Husband Christian and dad Roger are now keeping a bedside vigil after Tuesday's surgery.

Christian told how he drew comfort when she unexpectedly opened her eyes following the op. He said: "She's rigged up to lots of machines and tubes but woke up for about 10 seconds.

"She wasn't supposed to, but they hadn't sedated her enough.

"Her eyes went all over the room before she went back to sleep. It was just so nice to see her, to prove she's still with me."

The first part of the surgery, on her bowel, went smoothly.

But the team at St James' Hospital in Leeds hit problems when they turned to her liver.

Prof Lodge explained: "The surgery was more complicated than we expected it to be. We found some extra tumours that didn't show up on the scans.

"That's sometimes the way with these tumours, especially after so much chemotherapy. We also had some trouble with bleeding from Hayley's liver all the way through.

"That's partly due to where the tumours were as well as the extensive chemotherapy."

Surgeons finally stemmed the bleeding. If she is stable enough she will return to the operating theatre today so they can remove the padding they used to stop the flow of blood.

The tumours in her bowel have all been removed but 10 per cent of those in her liver remain.

If she pulls through, she will have surgery to take those out over the next four to six weeks.

The brave mum, of Duxford, Cambs, was pictured on TV just before she went in for surgery.

She said she knew the risks but was determined to go through with it for children Megan, four, James, two, and seven-month-old Lucy.

She said: "I've got to take the chance for my kids. They mean everything to me and I'm not going to let them down.

"I want to see them grow up. I want them to know their mum fought to be with them."

The mum was diagnosed with bowel cancer last summer while pregnant with Lucy.

Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge twice said her tumours were too big for surgery.

But another expert referred her to Prof Lodge last month.


BRAVE: Hayley in hospital just before surgery' FAMILY: With Christian, Megan and James
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2006 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:The Mirror (London, England)
Date:May 4, 2006
Previous Article:George's all clear on crash; EXCLUSIVE.
Next Article:3AM: Beautiful? No, it's tiny.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2020 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters