Printer Friendly

'I was turned away from tip as I tried to do a good deed' BUT COUNCILLOR SAYS THERE IS A WAY TO HELP PEOPLE.

By JOHN GREENWOOD Local Democracy Reporter @JOHNG_LDR A WOMAN who tried to dump rubbish at a permit-only Calderdale tip on behalf of her disabled grandparents claims she was turned away.

Residents-only permits have just been introduced at Calderdale Council's waste recycling centres in Brighouse and Elland.

But when the woman - from Kirklees - tried to take waste to the tip for her Calderdale grandparents she says she was refused access.

The woman, who asked not to be named, said: "Permits are only issued if you can prove that you are the owner of a car registered to a Calderdale address.

"Calderdale Council have not considered the needs of vulnerable residents who need help with their refuse disposal.

"In my case I can no longer help my disabled grandparents - who don't drive - as my car is registered in Kirklees.

'This is a will take feedback before any Susan "When this has been brought to their attention, they seemed surprised and frontline staff admit that this change was 'rushed through' and residents' needs have not been considered.

"The operative I spoke to didn't know if the inclusion and diversity team had been consulted in this poor decision making," she added.

Calderdale Council has now clarified the position and say other people can take rubbish on behalf of others, as long as they produce the Calderdale resident's photo ID and official document containing proof of the person's Calderdale address at every visit.

The new permit scheme is being trialled at Brighouse and Elland and, if successful, will be rolled out to the other centres in Calderdale at Sowerby Bridge, Halifax and Todmorden.

Calderdale Council's Cabinet member for Communities and Neighbourhood Services, Clr Susan Press, pointed out it was a trial scheme and people's views would be taken into account before permanent decisions were made.

By bringing the resident's documentation as proof the centre was being used on behalf of a Calderdale person, people could continue to do so," she said.

"This is a pilot, so we will take people's feedback into account before considering any plans to develop the permit scheme further.

pilot, so we people's into account considering plans' "If anyone who doesn't live in Calderdale needs to visit Elland or Brighouse household waste recycling centres on behalf of someone who does live here, they are welcome to do so but they must bring the Calderdale resident's photo ID and an official document containing proof of their Calderdale address on every visit."

Press " The ID permits are free and will be issued at site offices at both Elland and Brighouse on production of a valid driving licence or similar - passport, bus pass, blue badge - as photo identification and a recent utility bill (no more than three months old) as proof of address

'This is a pilot, so we will take people's feedback into account before considering any plans' Susan Press

No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2018 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Huddersfield Daily Examiner (Huddersfield, England)
Date:Dec 6, 2018
Previous Article:Don't approach this wanted man.
Next Article:Wagner: Town gave Cherries early presents; TOWN.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2022 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters |