Printer Friendly
The Free Library
23,421,980 articles and books


What would happen if I swallowed bubble gum?

Dear Dr. Cory:

What would happen if I swallowed bubble gum?

Paula Levereft Milledgeville, Georgia

Dear Paula:

Gum is made of fiber that cannot be digested. Swallow it, and it just passes through your body, although the sugar or sweetener in it is absorbed. Stories that swallowed gum will stick to your insides or cause appendicitis have been found to be false.

We wouldn't say it is particularly healthy to swallow gum frequently, since there are no nutrients your body gets from the gum. But if it is a small enough piece that it isn't a choking hazard, occasionally swallowing gum will not hurt you.
COPYRIGHT 1997 Benjamin Franklin Literary & Medical Society, Inc.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1997 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

 Reader Opinion

Title:

Comment:



 

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Ask Doctor Cory
Author:SerVaas, Cory
Publication:Children's Digest
Date:Sep 1, 1997
Words:105
Previous Article:For more than a year I've had two small lumps under my left armpit. They don't hurt, but I've read about diseases that cause lumps. Are these lumps...
Next Article:We recently found that some children are using laser penlights as toys. Such penlights are used as "pointers" by adults who use displays when they...
Topics:



Related Articles
Plan it out!
Ask Doctor Cory.
Ask Doctor Cory.
Ask Doctor Cory.
Ask Doctor Cory.
Ask Doctor Cory.
Ask Doctor Cory.
Ask Doctor Cory.
Ask Doctor Cory.
Ask Doctor Cory.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2014 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters